1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario strings on a Lakland

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ethompson2, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Will the D'Addario 170-5 Long Scale nickel wounds fits a 35" scale Lakland? I will be stringing it through the bridge not the through the body.

Thanks

Evan

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    No. You'll need to get a set of EXL-170SL. The "SL" at the END means "super long" and will work on a 35" scale bass. They may not fit through-body however, if that's a factor to you.

BTW, it shouldn't be a concern- there's a lot of discussion on TB, but the general consensus among people who've done rigorous comparisons is that there's little if any difference between STB and top-load. I know on my Lakland Deluxe 4-94 even with two strings top-loaded and two strung through the body, there's no difference I can either hear nor feel. And before I did that real authentic side-by-side comparison I was a proponent of STB because I THOUGHT it made it feel a bit different and THOUGHT it made the bass sound a bit richer. Facts trumped my preconceptions.

John

3. Thanks for the answer!

Just so I'm understanding you... I would have to get the Super Long set of strings even when stringing it through the bridge not actually running it through the body of the guitar?

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep- D'Addario's standard long-scale sets are for 34" scale top-load. They won't fit a 34" scale STB bass.

John

5. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have a 55-02 you do need the SL strings even through the bridge. The Chromes are fairly high tension you may need a truss rod adjustment but they do sound great.

6. Ok cool thanks guys I ended up going with D'addario 170-5 super longs Nickel wounds. Should be putting them on this weekend.

7. I sent a friend two sets of the D'Addario EXL170-5 Long Scale 5-String 45-130 strings for his Lakland 55-01 Skyline bass.

He said they "fit" through the body but a couple of the strings buzzed - when he took them off and strung them all through the bridge they supposedly worked fine. But he is a beginner when it comes to doing anything other than playing (18 y.o., plays really well but not experienced in changing strings, etc) so:

Is it that the EXL-170-5 strings can be strung up on the Lakland but don't function properly?

I know this isn't that complicated, but it certainly is a much discussed topic.

(Next time will be trying Circle K's, 37-136 I believe, and we'll string the bottom strings through body and top two through bridge. But that is a different story, unless I am told there is something inherently wrong with using the D'Addario's that "seem" to work - then I'll order the Circle K's for him right away.)

Thanks very much for any assistance with this topic!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020