Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daddario taper?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Jan 27, 2006.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Does Daddario make a 5 string set with a taper b?

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I haven't seen a set, but I have purchased single tapered B strings from JustStrings.com. My strategy is to buy a four string set and then add the tapered B.

3. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    strange on daddario's part but that is one way to do it.

4. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I went shopping online for a set of strings with a tapered B and didn't find much. I did order a set of Ken Smith Bass Burners since they come with a tapered B and in a wide variety of guages. If I like the Smiths as well as D'Addarios, Smith will be it for me.

5. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    smith strings are nice,but i like nickel and never tried smith nickels, just steels.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want a nickel set with a tapered low B, do try the sadowskys.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I tried the Sadowsky Nickel light gauge set 40-100-125T. They were not bad. They seemed mellow to me compared to D'Addario XLs. And I could not get the B string to intonate all that well.

XLs are my favorite Nickel. Smith's probably come next. Not a big fan of Slinkies.

Dave

8. The D'addario PRISM's were with a tapered B, but they replaced those with the pro steels. How sad that the tapered B didn't fo with them.

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    5 string sets with a Tapered B string include

Ken Smith
    Sadowsky
    Fender
    La Bella

In my case it is tough to find any 5-string set tapered or untapered with the gauges I like (45-100-130). So I usually buy a 4-string set from Just Strings and buy a seperate B string. Runs a few bucks more but not a big deal.

Dave

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    let's just add one more company with expose core/tapered...
    SPECTORS

11. you may order D'Ad from juststing as a set of 5 with taper B. what you need to do is write them and there will be no price different also:)

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Dean Markley SR2000's have a tapered B,E, and A. Nice strings but tend to lose their tone quickly.