1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'addario twin pack or DR hi beams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 14, 2009.

1. D'addario twin pack

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. DR hi beams

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. i have tried them both and like DR's SS better as they last longer and sound brighter but for that price i can buy two sets of D'addario nickels!
    say you only had 26$ what would you go for?
    for me the brighter the better the only questions is if two sets of nickels D'addario would outlive one set of DR SS hi beams?

2. I would go for the DR's myself. The D'Addario nickels don't last very long for me. I like the D'Addario ProSteels though.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That is SUCH a subjective question...

Depends a lot on one's definition of "outlive". For some players, the strings are too old after less than a week of use. For others, they're still considered bright and punchy after months of use...

To me, nickels vs. steels is like apples vs. oranges. If it's "the brighter the better" for you, then I doubt you'd be satisfied with anything less than Hi-Beams. So just get the Hi-Beams, keep 'em as clean as possible...and try to budget enough to be able to afford a more frequent string change from now on... :meh:

MM

4. you only have $26 bucks... get two sets, the d'addario's stay bright, long enough for me... just my two cents

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'd probably like DRs better if I liked their B strings better on my basses. I've had good luck in general with D'Addarios and it's cheap to put together custom sets with the gauges I am interested in. BY the time they are worn out I'm ready to change something up anyway... Well, actually I keep the old ones and sometimes they end up back on the basses and STILL sound great ; }

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    D'Addario's have always worked well and lasted, for me. I like the way they feel, too (higher tension and smooth). I can keep D'Addario's on for a couple months, before I feel like I need to change them. I'm lucky if I get two or three days out of some brands.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Really strange comparison: Dr HB's are round core steels, D'addario twin pack XL's are hex core nickles. If you like the way the XL's feel, you'll like the DR Nickle Lowriders more, at least supposedly; I switched to the round core DR's awhile ago and have not intention of ever using hex core *anything* again.

Really it's all about how much tension you like, since the HB's will last pretty close to as long as two sets of XL's.

8. ^ +1

DR Steels to D'Addario Nickels? Two different things entirely

9. cicatrice

cicatrice

Jun 11, 2005
    I had a similar decision a couple months ago between two sets of D'A Nickels and a new set of DR Lo Riders. I like the DR Lo Riders a lot more, BUT given the fact that I'm not recording or playing out right now, and I don't have a lot of spare cash, having a couple of cheaper sets of strings to grind through while practicing by myself seemed like the better decision financially.

Also, religiously washing my hands before practicing has also helped keep the D'Addarios clean and relatively bright-sounding :)

10. i think i'd go for DR's for i love DR's and i like round core over hex core

11. btw thanks a lot guys!