1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Daddario vs DR vs Elixir

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is there anyone who have tested coated strings like
    Daddario EXP and/or DR EXTRA and/or Elixir?
    Opinions?
    Dis/advantages?
    Witch one are the best?

2. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    I only have experience with using a couple sets of elixir softs. They feel... "odd" to begin with because of how slippery they are, but I found within a day or two I was quite comfortable with the new strings. They sound great in my opinion as well. I've used 2 sets on my spector 4 string, and currently have a set on right now. They've never broken, just after playing for ~6 months the coating starts to come off for me. I'd say that's about when the strings get "unacceptably dead" for the sound I'm going for. I wouldn't say you have to change the strings by then, it's just that I prefer to. They could probably last forever so long as you like that tone and don't break one.

As for price? .... :bawl:
    I usually end up shelling out $40.

I couldn't contrast them with the other strings you listed, but my next set will probably be the DR extras. Since when I'm lacking the cash for elixirs I pick up a set of DR lo-riders.

-lp

3. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I much prefer flatwounds if you want I nice feel. :D Those last.

I have Fender .50-1.00 on right now and they are buttery smooth.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    No one playing those "everlasting" coated stringbrands?

5. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    MAN I HATE THE PRICE :mad: but i love the sound of DRs :bassist: $40 it sux , what other ones are good that r not so expensive?

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT

40 bucks? buy them online for $22
    duh :)
    DRs sound better then anything else I've thrown on there and last forever!

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've only recently spent the big bucks on a set of Elixer Nanowebs, and I'm very happy with them so far, after one months use on weekend gigs. About $50+ locally for a 5 string set.

The slippery feel is not that big a deal and doesn't bother me. The tension of the strings are also very playable for me, they are neither too slack - nor are they too taut. Straight out of the box, they aren't quite bright as brand new stainless steels, but that's OK with me. I used to take a couple of days "to break" in a new set of stainless steel strings because they were too bright out of the box.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I had a set of D'Addario EXP's on my L-2000 for a while, and they weren't too bad. Basically sound and feel like uncoated D'Addario XL's. If you're an XL fan you'd probably like them, didn't seem to last any longer though.

I just put DR Hi-Beams on my bass, and I think they're great -- I used to hate stainless steel strings, but after a few days of wearing these in, they're the best sounding, most playable strings I've ever played. Not harsh on the fingers/frets at all... Can't comment on the coated DR's however.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've strung my main bass with the DR 'black' strings'...I was curious & spent the $25(some on-line strings store).
    They have been on about 2 weeks; so far, I can't complain. I haven't played this bass out with a band, so, in a sense, the jury is still out.
    I do like the 'tension'/feel, they don't feel overly slippery or sticky, either. The tone is decent, too.
    I also bought some Sunbeams in the event these don't work out.
    ;)

10. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    So
    Wich ones are "the best"? I do´'t want them to "stiff" or to "clanky"
    Anyone who have tested more than one of these coated brands, and can compare?

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use Elixirs. Work for me.

12. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I intend to change strings on my newly bought Ibanez Artoce (semi hollow) 34" bass.(se thread below).The orgin. str. are Daddario XL but I think they are to "clanky" for this bas.
    Don't You think the EXP coated would make any difference?

13. Dr's please.

(Try a search, or the strings FAQ first though)