Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daddario vs DR vs Elixir

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is there anyone who have tested coated strings like
    Daddario EXP and/or DR EXTRA and/or Elixir?
    Opinions?
    Dis/advantages?
    Witch one are the best?

2. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    I only have experience with using a couple sets of elixir softs. They feel... "odd" to begin with because of how slippery they are, but I found within a day or two I was quite comfortable with the new strings. They sound great in my opinion as well. I've used 2 sets on my spector 4 string, and currently have a set on right now. They've never broken, just after playing for ~6 months the coating starts to come off for me. I'd say that's about when the strings get "unacceptably dead" for the sound I'm going for. I wouldn't say you have to change the strings by then, it's just that I prefer to. They could probably last forever so long as you like that tone and don't break one.

As for price? .... :bawl:
    I usually end up shelling out $40.

I couldn't contrast them with the other strings you listed, but my next set will probably be the DR extras. Since when I'm lacking the cash for elixirs I pick up a set of DR lo-riders.

-lp

3. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I much prefer flatwounds if you want I nice feel. :D Those last.

I have Fender .50-1.00 on right now and they are buttery smooth.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    No one playing those "everlasting" coated stringbrands?

5. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    MAN I HATE THE PRICE :mad: but i love the sound of DRs :bassist: $40 it sux , what other ones are good that r not so expensive?

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT

40 bucks? buy them online for $22
    duh :)
    DRs sound better then anything else I've thrown on there and last forever!

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've only recently spent the big bucks on a set of Elixer Nanowebs, and I'm very happy with them so far, after one months use on weekend gigs. About $50+ locally for a 5 string set.

The slippery feel is not that big a deal and doesn't bother me. The tension of the strings are also very playable for me, they are neither too slack - nor are they too taut. Straight out of the box, they aren't quite bright as brand new stainless steels, but that's OK with me. I used to take a couple of days "to break" in a new set of stainless steel strings because they were too bright out of the box.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I had a set of D'Addario EXP's on my L-2000 for a while, and they weren't too bad. Basically sound and feel like uncoated D'Addario XL's. If you're an XL fan you'd probably like them, didn't seem to last any longer though.

I just put DR Hi-Beams on my bass, and I think they're great -- I used to hate stainless steel strings, but after a few days of wearing these in, they're the best sounding, most playable strings I've ever played. Not harsh on the fingers/frets at all... Can't comment on the coated DR's however.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've strung my main bass with the DR 'black' strings'...I was curious & spent the $25(some on-line strings store).
    They have been on about 2 weeks; so far, I can't complain. I haven't played this bass out with a band, so, in a sense, the jury is still out.
    I do like the 'tension'/feel, they don't feel overly slippery or sticky, either. The tone is decent, too.
    I also bought some Sunbeams in the event these don't work out.
    ;)

10. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    So
    Wich ones are "the best"? I do´'t want them to "stiff" or to "clanky"
    Anyone who have tested more than one of these coated brands, and can compare?

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use Elixirs. Work for me.

12. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I intend to change strings on my newly bought Ibanez Artoce (semi hollow) 34" bass.(se thread below).The orgin. str. are Daddario XL but I think they are to "clanky" for this bas.
    Don't You think the EXP coated would make any difference?

13. Dr's please.

(Try a search, or the strings FAQ first though)