1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario vs Rotosound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeepThought, Dec 31, 2000.

1. DeepThought

DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    Anyone have an opinion on D'Addario Chromes (my current choice) vs Steve Harris Flats for a fretless Jazz user?

The Chromes sound good, it's not that I hate them, I'm just thinking of experimenting.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes! I have a very strong opinion. :) The Chromes give a much more traditional flatwound tone. Chromes, Fender 9050's, GHS Precision Flatwounds, and probably La Bella have a similar sound. Note that I did not say they sound the same (they don't), but they're thumpy, solid-sounding strings. The SH Flats are MUCH brighter. I also felt that they didn't have the bottom that the Chromes (and others listed) have. If you want bright flatwounds, maybe they're a good choice. The set I tried appeared to be very high quality, beautifully made strings. Tension, of course is high. My Precision handled them OK with some truss-rod tweaking (quite a bit, actually), but my Washburn, which has a thinner neck didn't like them one bit.

As always, IMHO, YMMV, close cover before striking, and consult a physician if a rash develops.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And no open flame within 50 feet.