D'Addario vs Rotosound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeepThought, Dec 31, 2000.

1. DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    Anyone have an opinion on D'Addario Chromes (my current choice) vs Steve Harris Flats for a fretless Jazz user?

The Chromes sound good, it's not that I hate them, I'm just thinking of experimenting.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes! I have a very strong opinion. :) The Chromes give a much more traditional flatwound tone. Chromes, Fender 9050's, GHS Precision Flatwounds, and probably La Bella have a similar sound. Note that I did not say they sound the same (they don't), but they're thumpy, solid-sounding strings. The SH Flats are MUCH brighter. I also felt that they didn't have the bottom that the Chromes (and others listed) have. If you want bright flatwounds, maybe they're a good choice. The set I tried appeared to be very high quality, beautifully made strings. Tension, of course is high. My Precision handled them OK with some truss-rod tweaking (quite a bit, actually), but my Washburn, which has a thinner neck didn't like them one bit.

As always, IMHO, YMMV, close cover before striking, and consult a physician if a rash develops.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And no open flame within 50 feet.