D'Addario XL Chrome flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by klocwerk, May 25, 2005.

1. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Just got a new MIM fender jazz fretless, and stopped by the local music shop on the way home to pick up some flats.

Guy at the counter said "ooo, we only have one set of flats left right now..."
    "Nuts!" says I. "Well, let me see 'em, i need to get these roundwounds off my new fretless..."

to my extreme pleasure, they were D'Addario XL Chrome flats, .45-.100! Went home, threw em on, they sound wonderful! Gives a nice warmth to the stock fender jazz sound. (the pickups are still weak, but I'll probably swap them out in time...)

Now they just need a year or three to age, and they'll be perfect for me. ^_^
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I thought the MIM fretless basses came with flatwounds-mine did (they were absolutely horrible IMHO; extremely heavy, couldn't get good sound from them)

I tried TI jazz flats. I usually like those, but not on that bass.
    Went to XL nickel rounds next. I liked the sound, but felt in the end they were a bit too twangy.

I put in Dimarzio Model J's, and a set of Chromes. I really like these strings! They seem to really sing on a fretless, and they have a really nice feel IMHO. Combined with the Model J's, I absolutely love the way this bass sounds.

I'm probably gonna put a set on my Pbass next. I like the TI flats on it now, but I find the chromes have a better thump than the TI's do. We'll see how it goes!

You're right too-the chromes get to sounding even better as they break in :hyper:
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    well it was a used MIM, so whoever had it before me must have swapped on rounds. I figured they probably ship from the factory with flats.

I'm a little stuck, because I like playing this bass but it's an ugly color (in my opinion), i got it cause it was a sweet deal for what it was. I want to save up for some Dimarzio Model J's, but I don't want to put them on a bass I don't like the looks of.
    Ah well, i can always swap the stock ones back in when I sell it. ^_^
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have 'em and I love them too.

P-bass goodness. :)
  5. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    i got some of these this weekend to put on my mia pbass and i wanted to go thru the body but it seemed like i would break the e string at the bridge, the string was so stiff at the end. has anybody done this??
  6. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been playing Chromes on my basses for the past three years, and still love their tone!!!