1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario XL HalfGround Rant

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wizerd, Apr 18, 2015.

1. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Hi gang...
    I just finished ripping these half grounds off one of my basses. I tried these strings couple of years back and they were covered in yak fat and I swore I never would buy them again. Well, time heals all fools and I bought another set last week to try out again. UGH. These are bass killers! Now, D'Addario makes fine strings and I have used their light gauge set on all my acoustic guitars for at least a hundred years, but the half grounds for bass are atrocious. Thanks to the community ... I feel better. Rock on.

Linnin likes this.
  2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I love the D'Addario Half Rounds. They're versatile and last a long time.

Some people complain about stickiness - but it goes away quickly.

Half rounds are a love 'em or hate 'em type of product.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Very True! I hate 'em! I tried them when they first came out in 1985 or so promising the best of both roundwound and flatwound worlds. Blech! :vomit:

Yet they keep right on making them, so someone's buying them. Even GHS jumped on the bandwagon with their 'Bright Flats' version. :bag:

I think Ernie Ball may steal all the thunder with their new Slinky Cobalt Flats. A very light cobalt alloy roundwound with flat cobalt alloy ribbon outer wrap. This may actually deliver the best of both worlds. We'll have to wait and see.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They used to be steel and those were fantastic. I bought a used set here once and foolishly left them on a bass I sold. I contacted D'Addario a while later asking if they happened to have any old sets lying around and an employee sent me a set for free from his personal stash at home. Best strings ever. The current nickel versions are the worst.

5. In my former life as an acoustic guitar player, D'Addario was the brand of my choice - that's the only name I knew.

Thanks to this community and its wisdom, I've matured a little bit and learned to steer clear of certain products regardless of the brand name, D'A Half-Rounds being one of them.

Linnin likes this.
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I used them in 1977. They came out WAY befor '85. Heck, I was using GHS Brite-Flats in the late '70s! I ultimately decided that they didn't really offer the best of both worlds for me, but rather the worst of both worlds. They are however, not putrid, horrid, they're just not what I want, nor apparently what you want.

The original ones were indeed nickel. They came out with the stainless ones much later, ca 1985 I think. I NEVER liked the stainless ones. For a while they made them both ways and I had to ensure I ordered HR-72N to get the nickel ones. They then eventually dropped the stainless versions and went BACK to the nickle ones.

But the original version in the mid to late '70s were NICKEL, not stainless, and they were out in stores by the early summer of 1977 for sure.

My last set was purchased around 1984, when they changed the winding length. They no longer fit a pre EB StingRay (due to the string-through bridge). I exchanged several letters with John D'Addario about the winding change, and he maintained that they were always the same, but they used to fit my 'Ray...

D'Addario makes great strings, the only ones I use on guitars. They are also generally one of the finest companies with which to do business and that counts for a LOT in my estimation. I used to manage a guitar store ('77 - '88) and D'Addario, GHS, Kaman, and Peavey stood out in service to customers (both retail and the dealers). Fender was very good, Gibson, G&L (Fullerton/Hyatt/Leo era), were very difficult, and Dean Markley was the most dishonorable person I met in the biz (but I really liked DM's flats at the time).

7. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I got a new D'Adds Half Rounds 4 string set on a P/J (I am a Flats or Tapewounds guy) and I am actually Pleasantly Surprised. No finger noise. They are Brand New, so they are Much Brighter than what I am looking for, but they show a lot of promise. The Sticky wore off in an hour, or so, for me. Already ordered a 5 string set. :bassist:

8. i used to use the half rounds. now i'm trying balance tension rounds and i may not switch.

Half rounds: i got tired of the sound. i think they're good beginner strings. people have use halfs to replace flats in the studio or on stage.

balance tension: love the balance. E and A string can be stronger, they're definately strong than the half's. i like the fat E string.

9. image. here is a pic of the e string. (i've fixed it)

10. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    What do "Beginner Strings" sound like? I, and MANY Other People, prefer a Bass to sound Deep, Dark, and Thumpy. Not Roundwound Bright. Halfrounds seem to give that with more Brightness than Flats, or some Tapes, while Taming the Brightness of a Round. But, I cannot recall, out of the MANY different strings I have played, what a Beginner String sounds like. :thumbsup:

Ukiah Bass and Unemploid like this.
  11. just saying i would reconmend for someone how is starting to play bass. not for their tone but for their feel/smoothness.

.BumeStik. likes this.
  12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    are these the strings that patitucci uses on his 6 string basses?