1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario XL love…

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Nov 16, 2008.

1. I bought my Squier DJAV in May…since then it has been strung with the original Fender Stainless strings (0.125 on the B)

Yesterday, B4 church I put on a set of D'Addario XL-175 (I've been using D'Add XL-170's on my 4 strings for years)…

All I can say, is what a difference a new set of strings can do
    and how nice it is to come home to the D'Addarios (feels like talking to an old friend, even on a "new" bass)

The sound:
    With the Stainless new…Bright, crisp strong emphasis on the upper lows (kinda "scooped" sounding)

With the stainless old…top-end more subdued, rest of that "scoop" sound remaining, not as much "oomph"

With the nickels new…good top end…clean and bright without being "glassy" or "clanky"…even response across the board
    definitely NOT scooped…and the bottom end was deep and strong and clean…

I had my amp on stage turned WAYYY down, the sound man had great control of my sound through the house. I could tell he was lovin' it because I could hear my bass coming from EVERYwhere :) :)

2. come on, people...

share the love :)

3. mario222

mario222

Dec 12, 2007
    I got some XL's (50-105) on one of my basses. Definetly one of my favorite roundwounds ever! I love em fresh but I think they peak after a month or so of playing( 'm refering to the nickel set).

4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    You're right they do peak after a month or so. However, you can get them by the twin pack from MF for about $19 (nickel). I always keep a spare twin pack or two around and I change them about every two months.

I just put a fresh set on last week and while our new drummer prefers old school thump, in private practice I couldn't help but play some Entwistle style jamming using some typewriter tapping and chording lines. It was fun in private just to cut loose every so often.

The nickel roundwounds are nice because they are bright but you can still get some nice deep bass from them. The stainless might be too piano like for me.

I am seriously considering getting some chromes flatwounds for my 5 string.

5. P-BASSLOVER

P-BASSLOVER

Oct 10, 2008
    USA
    They are my go to string If I can't find my particular brand.
    When in doubt, D'Addario XL's !

6. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    PSSSST... Check out MF's Stupid Deal today...:ninja:

7. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I did! thanks! I just ordered another 2-pack and some Chromes flats as well.

Plus I'm getting a free tuner. Thanks for the help. Can't be 2 sets for 16.99

8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've used nickel EXLs for about 10 years and have once or twice tried something else, but one set of anything else always leave me missing me EXLs. The only time I really didn't use complete sets of them was on my 6-strings, I usually couldn't find them so I settled for EXL170-5s with various mix-n-match high Cs. All my basses will always have EXLs. Even my fretless Hambone Jazzwick 5er has them. The original set of D'Addario ENR71-5 half rounds left a lot to be desired... used EXLs are my favorite on that thing.

I'm with ya bro!

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I think the XL nickels are some of the best bass strings out there, and the Prosteels are my favorite SS strings.

I think the only thing I can say negatively about the strings is that the Nickel XL's E string is a duller compared to the other strings in the set, good strings nonetheless.

10. They're the strings I always come back to on my 5ers. Great solid tone.

11. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    I feel the same way! I was really excited to try a set because the concept seems great, but I hated the feel. They slide really smooth once you get going, but starting a slide from a fretted note, I guess the edges of the flat ground windings grab onto your skin and it takes some effort to get moving, which screwed up my timing and caused me to some times overshoot the note I wanted to slide to. They were also really stiff, but they sounded great... until they died three days later and sounded like muddy turds. Half Rounds suck! :spit: