D'Addario XL questions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 22, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Earlier in the year, D'Addario did me right on a customer service issue, and I swore I'd reward them by always considering their strings first. Well, it's time to see how that's going to work out.

I picked up a Rickenbacker 4001 last week, and am trying to figure out which strings I want to use. I'm told I should keep the string tension down as low as possible due to the design of the 4001's truss rods. Today, I came home with a set of D'Addario XLs, .040-.095. This set has a published tension of about 150#, which is in the lower range of what I've seen.

I'm a generalist, and play no one particular style of music. I'm still very much a beginner. I prefer a warm tone, but want the Ric to be less thumpy than my DeArmond Starfire (D'Addario 1/2 Rounds) or my second Steinberger Spirit (Status flats). I only play fingerstyle - when I try to use a pick, it usually ends up getting flung across the room involuntarily. I have GHS Pressurewounds on my other Steinie, and so far like their tone very much (and I like their finger feel).

I want to find "the" string now, so when I have the Ric set up, it will be set up for my "permanent" string type. I don't see myself changing string types after I find what I'm looking for - as long as the tone and build quality is OK, I'm happy.

Can anyone help me by describing the relative brightness of these strings, and whether they think they might be what I'm looking for? I can't afford to buy gobs of different strings for a "test drive", and am looking for guidance for a place to start looking. GHS Pressurewounds are also tempting, but I haven't found any specific tension stats on them.

2. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Use whatever strings you want on that 4001. The D'Addario Xlights are terriffic. Webstrings.com has similar strings that sound great and cost LESS.

I like light gauge strings for the playability. They are well suited to the Rickenbacker tone as well. Those who fear the truss rod system on older Rics ought not to fear anything except the ignorance of those who attempt to adjust it without understanding how it works. They are great basses and the bad rap that they get regarding the neck is nonsense. Rather an excuse made by those who don't know what the hell they're doing when they take a wrench to the truss rods.

The strings that you have decided to go with are great strings too.