1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'addario XL?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JeffC, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    I have a gig coming up on Saturday and I figure I should have some backup strings, just in case.

I bought my Ibanez GSR200 about 6 months ago and the strings that are on there (don't know what they are) still sound good.

I'm just not sure what to put on, this will be my first time buying bass strings. I read through the stickies and it seems to me that the D'addario XL's seem like a decent all around string as I play a large variety of music.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I have recently taken another look at strings. I have been a die-hard rotosound user for most of my 30 odd year career.
    But I recently bought another bass that came with d'addarios and I would buy them again. I have since been experimenting, and have been pretty pleased with a set of DR high-beams on my P-bass. I would buy them again too.

Last night I put a set of LaBella flat wounds on my Barker and they sound tremendous. I would have never considered a flat wound string a few months ago. It seems to this old player that there has been much advance in string mfg-ing in the last decade or so.

The d'addarios seem to be one of the best values for the money and they are pretty easy to get most anywhere.

JKT :bassist:

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    D'Addarios XL's are a good place to start. They're a great overall string set that's affordable, and can help you figure out what you want in the future. Once you've used the XL's for a while you can figure out what you want from a string - deeper, brighter, more aggressive, more mellow, etc. You might even find that they're the sound for you. :)

4. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    A friend recommended GHS bass Boomers Medium gauge, has anyone has any experience with these?

5. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    They had the XL's in a double pack on for a great price...I went with those in .045 to .105

6. stingray666

stingray666

Jun 12, 2007
    In the never-ending quest for tone, Dad's are a good place to begin. You will be able to tell if you need more mids, highs, or lows on your bass, because D'Addario's are very even in their tonality. Boomers have a thick bottom and shy highs, Markleys are mid-rich, and Slinkys are toppy with shy bottom. Start with Dad's, and remember- Boomers for ol' school kick-ass rockin, Markley's for burpy jazz, Slink's for in-yer-face slapping. if these don't work, its DR time.

7. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    XL's - good strings
    nickels, SS, chromes, halfrounds - all are great

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Those two-packs are great bargains. I had forgotten that they sell them that way.

9. I used XL's for 12 years, great strings. A little too bright (for my taste) for the first couple of hours, then they settle in nicely.

The last couple of years I've been hooked on TI Jazz Rounds. Not quite as sparkly as the XLs, but these days, neither am I. :p

Joe

10. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure if they've changed, but I liked the stock Ibby strings. Keep them while you can (unless you don't like them, of course :p).

That being said, Ibanez + XL's are a winning combo. I love it. They sound great whether they're brand new or worn.

11. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    Well I have had the XL's on for about a week now...haven't played a ton in that time though...

Not to sure I like the sound, its very bright. I'm gonna use them heavily this week and see if I can break them a bit, if not I'll buy something else.

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have used D'addario strings for years on 4 insurments (5 string bass, 4 string, fretless bass, Chapman Stick.) I have never had any problems with their strings.

13. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I recently put XL's on my Hohner. Only bought them as they were a good price on Ebay and i have to say they brought my bass to life :)

Had rotosound flatwounds on before and found them to dull for my liking

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I use Pro Steels on all of my 5'ers, with a .135 B. I love these strings - focused, defined, great tone throughout the entire spectrum, and they last a looooong time.

15. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've been using D'addarios since 1992. I just wish they would make an E-C set (.032-.105 would be nice).

If D'addarios are good enough for Michael Manring, they can't be that bad

16. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    D'Addario XLs are my personal favorite. Long-lasting, easy to find and replace, and very good tone.

17. LeonLivingston

LeonLivingston

Aug 28, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I personally really like DaD XL's. I use the XL180's on one of my basses for some bright percussive playing, I use XL170's on my six string for their all around versatility, and I like the XL160's on my fretless for a little more meaty sound. These strings were some of the first that I tried and I have really grown attached to them. What is great is that they are cheap enough to try them out and not get disappointed if you don't like them.

18. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    joe atlanta is right on the money here, bright during short break-in, long life (for me at least) , sound great , affordable and readily available. i'm using XL170 .045-.130 on a 5er.

----------------duc

19. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    If the XLs seem too bright, you might want to try some flatwounds or half-rounds.

The D'Addarrio flats are called Chromes and they're great strings - pretty bright for flats, but very full.

I also like the GHS Pressurewounds for a string that is a little less bright.

You might not find these in stores, but you can get all kinds of strings easily online -- my favorite source is juststrings.com - but there are others. Have fun!

20. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    Thanks stretch, I do ind them a bit bright for my liking.

Do you think I would be happy going to lo-beams or La Bella Flatwounds. I'm concerned about loosing range if I go too low because i play a large variety of music but at the same time I'm not happy with a bright string.