Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'ADDARIO XL

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rsautrey, Aug 12, 2000.

1. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    After years of swearing by stainless steel strings (especially some of the overpriced "gourmet" brands) I just tried D'Addario XL for the first time in 10 years of bass playing. Bright, long lasting so far, and feels great. I can tell they are much easier on the frets, too! What surprised me is how much cheaper these strings are compared to the Dean Markley Blue Steels that I have used for so long. I guess I was brainwashed into believing stainless steel was better (I used to use Rotosound Swing Bass 66 also). Has anybody else swithched from stainless steel to nickelplated strings and felt the same way?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I used Rotosounds for many many years and was really suprised how much better D'Addarios have made all my basses sound. I now prefer SlowWounds, which are a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes I use Nickel exclusively. I prefer the feel and sound of Nickel over SS. I like the flexibility, too. The fact that they seem to last so long doesn't hurt either. Or the price. I don't like D'Addario, though. Lakland (a bargain!) Ken Smith, Thomastik, Ernie Ball and Martin/Darco's are what I use on various basses. All Nickel, all roundwounds.

4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I have tried several different strings, such as DR Hi-Beams, Lo-riders, and Thomastik, and keep coming back to old reliable...GHS boomers, 45-105. I also have a set of D'Addario XL's on my MIJ 75 RI Jazz which are great. It's not that I didn't like the DR's or T-I's, they were good strings, but the Boomers and XL's seem more "comfortable" to me. And the lower prices don't hurt, either.

I'll probably keep trying different kinds of strings, though. It's fun to experiment and a whole lot cheaper than buying different basses all the time (already done that!)

Craig

5. A long time Dean Markley user i now use XL's on my basses. If you need more than 5 strings just order a few of the extra strings and add them to 5 string sets. I do this for my 7 string by adding a .027 for "C" and a .019 plain for "F". I try to buy a few sets when they are on sale this saves a lot of money for six and seven string sets.
    Markley has better T shirts.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I also switched recently from Rotosound Swings to D'addario XLs. Though im tempted to try a set of Foderas right now...due to the fact that they come in the gauges i want, AND with the D'addarios, i killed the B, E, and A in about a week and a half. Not good. But i much prefer them to stainless steel strings, which are still on my fretless Tobias and 4 string. God, slap sounds SO much better on the nickels, as does fingerstyle. Though for picking, id probably use steel...but i dont pick! So blah.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Try DR Sunbeams. They are great very flexible nickel strings. Plus they last a long time. I use the med-light gauge .045-.100. Their sound is incredible, but I don't hear of too many people using them.

-KB

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I dig the XL's, too. They're great on my '74 Gibson Les Paul Signature. Not for every bass, however. Seems to me that certain strings suit certain instruments better. For instance, the Markley Blue Steels are best on my brand-new '00 Gibson Thunderbird. And for some reason, the SIT Powerwounds are best on my '64 Precision. My only hard fast rule is: NEVER use stainless steel on a vintage bass. Too hard on the frets. Nickel, old--Steel, new. Works for me.

9. It surprises me sometimes when I see discussions of strings that the D'Addario XL's rarely get mentioned. A shame cuz that's definitely the string for me. I've got .45/.105's on both of my fretted instruments and the same gauge but D'Addario HalfRounds on my fretless.

By the way, I scored a double pack of the XL's off of ebay recently for $21. That beat the best local price of $17 by a long shot.

10. Alienbass

Alienbass

Aug 12, 2000
    I recently switched to XL's as well and love them. My only beef is that they do not make a soft top set in 5 string, so I end up getting the 4 string soft top set and order the .135 tapered B's separately.
    Dan

11. guitarplayer57

guitarplayer57

Aug 20, 2000
    I've been using D'Addario strings for 3 years, on every guitar I have. For me, there the best string.

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Best thing about XL's (and nickels in general) is that you can boil them to rejuvenate. Steels and stainless don't seem to like that as much, so when they're gone, they're gone...

13. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    note to kb
    i think dr sunbeams are the best strings out there--at least for my style, bass, technique, etc. i'll echo the ease of playing, flexibility, sustain, but i've also noticed that finger noise is pretty much non-existent compared to other strings. they just work well with my setup. my question is, where can i get these and for the least $. my local dealer that carried them moved. (if i'd buy 4 sets at a time, he'd sell them to me for 22.50/5 string set) i'm not expecting that good of a deal ever again.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I buy them (DR sunbeams) online from juststrings.com or getstringscheap.com. They are excellent strings and I agree that one of the reasons I like them is the lack of finger noise, plus they have a very versitile sound on my active Carvin. :)

-KB

15. Speedy

Speedy

Sep 12, 2000
    yes i´ve also equipped my bass with XL´s 1 month ago...
    i had ss before on my bass! but you can´t imagine the sound change...now i swear on nickel strings.