D'Addario XL160's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andrew Noury, Jun 29, 2002.

1. I just bought a set of these and put 'em on my bass then noticed something odd about the E string.

There is another winding that goes from the ball-end to just past the neck pickup on my Jazz bass, then ends. So the E string is "fatter" from the neck pickup to the bridge.

Is this the way these strings are supposed to be or did I get a bad E string?

I can take and post a picture if anyone is curious.

Thanks. :)
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    You got a defective string. Go to D'Addario's website for the address to send the bad string to and they will replace it and probably send you another set for your trouble. Did you save the package? This will probably help because it has a Q code on it which will let them know what batch it came from. Hope this helps!
  3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    could be possible you bought a set with the "E" string being tapered...some manufacturers/string sets come with the "B"&"E" strings being tapered,this helps in sustain...
  4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    "Fatter from the neck pickup to the bridge" would be the opposite of a tapered string.
  5. does it sound good?

6. Thanks for the replies fellas. I figured something was wrong but I've seen some really strange string "concepts" over the years playing guitar.

The string did not sound or feel good for the 30 seconds I played it before realizing it wasn't right. It was very loose and had the same diameter of the A string along the fingerboard... weird.

Luckily, the guys at the local shop I bought the strings from took 'em back and gave me a new set with no hassles.

They are going to send them back to D'Addario.

I have used D'Addario strings on guitar for... probably 10 years and never had a single bad string so I have no complaints over this one.

Thanks again all. :)