Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario XLs VS. Dean Markley nickel steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Apr 16, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Ok, I have narrowed down my string choice to these two. Anyone got any thought about them? pro/cons? I want a string that has nice bottom, a warm sound, but also works for slapping and popping. Also, which one feels better, plays smoother, etc.

Galen

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Nickel steels? :confused:

For warm sound with a nice bottom, I like the XL's. A lot! The slap/pop bite isn't quite there, though. At least not after the first week.

I have not played Dean Markleys, but may I add to the confusion by saying 'DR'? :)

BTW, did you know that your name is Swedish for "crazy"? ;)

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Swedish for crazy? Hmm, you know I think I might have heard that. Cool. Anyway, Which DR string would you recommend for me? Lo-rider nickel?

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    For a warm sound with good bottom stick with nickel.Ive tried the XL-170's,DR Low Riders,and the DM blue steels(all in nickel and others as well).Of these theres not much difference in warmth/bottom but they each have their own sound.The DM's are brighter than the other two initially but settle down real nice after a few days.Ive heard a rumor that these DM nickels have been discontinued but i dont know if its true.The DR's have an underlying almost "guitar like" quality to their sound.The XL's are real nice with a fairly "typical" RW sound.Good luck!