D'addario XLs VS. Dean Markley nickel steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Apr 16, 2001.

1. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Ok, I have narrowed down my string choice to these two. Anyone got any thought about them? pro/cons? I want a string that has nice bottom, a warm sound, but also works for slapping and popping. Also, which one feels better, plays smoother, etc.

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Nickel steels? :confused:

For warm sound with a nice bottom, I like the XL's. A lot! The slap/pop bite isn't quite there, though. At least not after the first week.

I have not played Dean Markleys, but may I add to the confusion by saying 'DR'? :)

BTW, did you know that your name is Swedish for "crazy"? ;)
  3. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Swedish for crazy? Hmm, you know I think I might have heard that. Cool. Anyway, Which DR string would you recommend for me? Lo-rider nickel?
  4. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    For a warm sound with good bottom stick with nickel.Ive tried the XL-170's,DR Low Riders,and the DM blue steels(all in nickel and others as well).Of these theres not much difference in warmth/bottom but they each have their own sound.The DM's are brighter than the other two initially but settle down real nice after a few days.Ive heard a rumor that these DM nickels have been discontinued but i dont know if its true.The DR's have an underlying almost "guitar like" quality to their sound.The XL's are real nice with a fairly "typical" RW sound.Good luck!