Daddario -= XLs Vs Slowwound=-

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j b scott, May 28, 2003.

1. Hey there, i have done a search, and this hasn't come up yet!! so dont eat me.

A few months ago i put on a set of 5 string Daddadario XL 170s.

I need to get new strings, and i was wondering how do the Slowounds differ from the XLs tonewise/feelwise?

Their website says some rubbish about slowing down the winding process to ensure no errors are made...etcetc, but tone is not mentioned.

i have found the XLs tone to be very clear and concise, a little thin sounding, and quite sterile. So if the XLs and Slowounds are very similar to eachother, i wont be trying the Slowounds, since i am looking for a warmer, thicker sound.

thank you if you help me and thankyou for reading all that.

2. I've seen postings on the Slowounds in the past. Seems like they may be what you want in terms of tone if you're looking for warmth and thickness compared to XLs. May want to search this forum for other users' comments.

Also, you may want to consider DR Sunbeams. They are a little fuller and less bright than XLs, and roughly in the same price range as the Slowounds. I liked them on my P bass, but just wanted to try something different. May try Slowounds myself next time around, or maybe even Elixirs if the mood (and budget!) strikes me.
  3. SHB

Mar 25, 2003
    Maryland USA
    I have used lots of XL's but only one set of Slowwounds. I never felt the urge to try them again. I think they are maybe better constructed than the XL's but tone is very similar. If you want warmer, thicker, in a roundwound, maybe DR Lo Rider nickel is the ticket.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I use slowounds, and I'm very happy with the warmth, feel, and tone. I can't compair them to the XL's, because the slowounds were recommended to me, and that's what I went to after I left DR and sr2000's.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The XL's seemed too thin sounding for me, so I switched to Slowounds. They are imo warmer, smoother and have a much thicker tone than any other string Ive tried.

Ive got Slowounds on all of my Basses and have no plans to use anything else.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm fully in agreement with this and it mirrors my own experience.
  7. Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    I used XLs on my stingray for a long time. Liked the smooth feel but never really liked the sound. Very polite and, yes, a little thin.

As a guitar tech made a setup he also changed my stings to Slowound. I think I've had them on for almost a year, and the still sound great.

Compared to the XLs they produce a thicker tone. Pretty bassy but cutting.

The best part, though, is the string response. I pluck the strings agressive and you can really dig in without "hitting bottom".

I really recommend them
  8. In my experience slowounds are better in every way than the Xl's .
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got them on every bass that I own with the exception of two. One of the two is a fretless Jazz that has an EXP set on and the other is a Peavey Millennium Plus that I got about a month ago. I'm kinda letting it settle in until I'm ready to get it into playing shape.

To me XLs sound a little brighter than the Slowounds. There are some similarities in tone between the two but the Slowounds just have a lot more warmth, even tone from strings to string & better feel to me. You ought to at least give a set a try. You will need the SL(super long) sets if you are going to go with the SLowounds if you have a 35" scale 5-string or if it's a 34" scale with the string through the body option.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The person who works on my axes when need got me hooked also!
  11. thanks guys for the comments

i am going to order some 'Slowounds 2000-5-SL'
    and feel the difference!!!