1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Finn, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Finn

Finn

Nov 20, 2001
    I think that D'Addario-strings are low prize low quality:mad:

I have 2 couples and they stink.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow!
    What happened did they break or go dead? Fill me in!
    I use D'Addario XL160's on my Ric and I have never had a bad set.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My Slowounds have an aura of quality surrounding them. :D Very balanced and rich sound, and they feel nice too. I liked the XL's too, maybe too "chorusy" for a direct signal, but they had a very warm purring kind of tone when played through my amp and with the right touch, especially after being "broken in" (figure after about 3-4 weeks use). But I like the the Slowounds even better.

And if you visit stores in my city, D'Addario strings are NOT cheap! The XL's (being the cheapest) are around $32-$33 in most stores, for a 4-string set. Needless to say, I buy mine online for half the price. :)

I wasn't too happy with the B of a 5-string XL set I put on my Yammy though - didn't ring as true as the other strings in the same set (and no, I wouldn't blame the bass).

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I slapped a set of XL nickels on the G&L not too long ago and I am mostly happy with them. They have a nice meaty tone and play comfortably. I have never had bad luck with D'Addarios. Of course, I got turned off by DRs and most people here really like them, so what do I know?

Chas

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    They break. If you play real hard. Back in my heavy metal days I use to break d'addario strings at the bridge. No idea why but they snapped twice at a gig. embarassing and lucky I didn't use that string much.....

6. Same here. I had the same set and the B string sounded straight nasty. An open B wouldn't sustain very well like the others.