1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addarios for 35" scale?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steve Bennett, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I strung up my Yamaha TRB1105, which is a 35" scale 5-string, with a set of D'Addario EXL170-5. The end of the outer wrap on both the B and E strings sits right about in the middle of where the string contacts the nut. Everything sounds OK. Is this cause for concern? Should I get the extra longs next time?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ick. Next set, find and "extra long" set. I know most makers have them.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    You should be ok...But check to see if it goes out of tune easier.

Go with the SL next time, its what I use on my 35"s.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A. Take a razor knife and cut the silk away from the area where it crosses the nut. You don't want the silk there because it may alter the tone of the open strings, and it might throw off your intonation.

B. If you like the strings otherwise, you can get most D'Addario strings in a special "extra long" length. You got a set of EXL-170-5. You'll need to specify the EXL-170-5 SL set to get the longer ones. If you don't like the set you have, try a set of DR Sunbeams. DR's stock strings fit my 35" scale Lakland 55-01 when I string through the body, so they should fit just about any 35" scale bass.

jte

5. There's no silk. I'm talking about the outer winding. The end of the outer winding sits on top of the nut slot. Everything seems to be OK, so I'll just leave 'em on and get extra longs next time.

Regarding the DR Sunbeams, I just took a set of those off this bass. I liked them, except that the B sounded different from the other strings. The D'Addarios seem better in this respect so far.

6. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i have d'addario 170-5's on my rebop (35 scale). i know the taper you're talking about. for me the taper starts RIGHT AT the end of the nut. it's just about as perfect as it can be and works fine for me. i think if i were you i would play on those strings and see how they work for you. if everything is fine then you have your answer... and you know you don't have to spend more money on the extra long strings. if there are problems and they don't stay in tune then sadly you'll have to spend a few more bucks on the super long d'addarios.

wow, i think that's the most solid, decisive answer i've ever given. :scowl:

good luck.

7. Thank you Dean, for that solid, decisive answer. ;) I think they'll be fine. They stay in tune and sound good, and the intonation's spot-on. So all is good, I reckon.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They'll be fine. D'Addario has the shortest long scale strings out there, I think.

9. bluegreenturtle

bluegreenturtle

Mar 15, 2003
    Oregon
    I have this issue on my modulus 6 - I just put them on anyway and shimmed it up with a little paper. They actually sound the best of any strings I've had on there for a very long time.

Next time i'm getting the extra long ones though.

10. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I'm glad I found this thread. Here's where I need some help- I have a Brice octave 8-string, which is a 35" scale bass with a string-thru-body bridge. Soon it'll be in need of a fresh set of strings. Would D'Addario's nickel wound strings for octave eights make the 35" scale? I don't think I'll have silk wrapping to worry about since every set of D'Addario roundwound strings I've ever played doesn't have silk wraps.

11. I'm sure they won't work strung through the body, since they barely work strung through the bridge on my 35" Yamaha.

12. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    agreed. if my spector were a threw body bass there is no way the extra longs would work. and it looks like they only make the extra longs and not the super longs for 8's. i think you'll have to look elsewhere.

13. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    you're welcome. :D

14. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Lol, I just posted another thread about this...

15. After using the EXL170-5 set for a week or so, I can safely say they are working just fine. In fact, I can say that so far, I actually prefer them to the DR Sunbeams they replaced. They feel a little smoother and the tone is more balanced across the frequency spectrum, IMO. As you can see in the pic, the fattest part of the B and E strings ends partway across the nut.