D'addarios Low B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Mar 19, 2005.

1. I have a Carvin LB6F that has had its factory set strings on it for about 9 or 10 months, one of those strings broke a few weeks ago and i just got aroudnt o changign them, I bought a pack of D'addario Nickel Roudn Wound XL170-6 strings you can't hear the Low B very well now, the old strings were fine, and I haven't touched the electronics, it also sounds a bit buzzy on the lowest notes. The string has .130 diameter, which i've used on my odler 5-string carvin without a problem, but I've never used D'addario before. The other strings sound fine, its just the B string :rollno: is this a faulty string or something?
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Iv'e had these problems before and have observed that some strings give a little more than others, causing them to buzz and some are quieter as well ( metallic content). Try adjusting the saddle on the b string for string height, you may also experiment with the pickups as well ( a tiny bit closer or further), some pickups react differently with certain strings. Other than that, don't buy those strings if you can't fix the problem, hope this helps.
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Also, the XL170 sets (my brand BTW :) ) are Nickel plated Steel. These will not be quite as bright as all Steels (but will last longer) and may be slightly softer. I don't know if the Carvins are all Steel or not.
  4. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have had good luck with an XL 130 super long thru body on my G&L. I have also used the XL 130 on a Modulus Quantum with good results.

5. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    I got the same problem with my Hartke strings, the B totally has no sustain at al it sounds like "ploing" and that's it ;) It also doesn't sound as clear as the other strings. It can really suck...