Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addarios

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    How do they sound in general? And how long do they last as compared with Ernie Ball's and Boomers? Those are the only two types of brands I've used in the nearly two years that I've played, and I'm yearn'n for some learn'n :).Thanks for any help in advence!!!

2. For the real deal on strings, get a back issue of Bass Player mag, March 1996, available from their web site. They did an extremely exhaustive test of most of the strings on the market, both 4's and 5's. Incidentaly, D'Addario were overall their most preferred string.

3. I use D'Addario XL165 exclusively. Very consistent so far.

Chris

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think you can make a "blanket" comment on all D'Addarios - they make a wide range and they are all intended to sound different. Prisms are much brighter than SlowWounds, for example. My own experience and the comments I've heard on this board, tend to indicate that they do last a long time, but there have been one or two "dissenters".

5. I used D'Addario XL170s for a long time, then I won 25 free sets of Ernie Ball Slinkys, so I used them. I just ran out and had to buy new strings for the first time in over a year, and I'm sticking with the Slinkys. D'Addarios are fine, but to my ear and hands, the Ernie Balls just have a little something extra. They feel and sound a tad better, and last a tad longer.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    How much is a tad? And how can it be a measure of time and brightness?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

7. You know Chris, funny you should mention that.. after I made that post I read it, and thought to myself "tad?" Kinda rolled my eyes at myself but was too lazy to change it!

8. You went thru 25 sets in a year? Good grief!

9. Well, yeah.. that works out to a set of strings every two weeks. I like the sound of new strings and I'm in a band that, until recently, rehearses and gigs regularly. So, I don't think a new set every two weeks is excessive. Plus, you have to factor in a couple of those sets not lasting very long.. e.g., we did one gig where we played three sets in a hot room, and that killed a brand new set. Then an outdoor gig on a hot day that had a similar result. IME, buckets of sweat will dramatically shorten the life of strings!

10. Fair enough!

11. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I used to use D'addario XL's exclusively about 4 years ago (I then got a set-neck bass, and they sounded dull quickly on that bass--so I switched to DR and other stainless strings...)

IMHO D'addario makes the most CONSISTENT set of strings I've come across...not necessarily the BEST tone, but it is a good tone! If you get a set of D'addario's and like the tone, chances are the next set you buy will sound just like it. I used probably about 30 sets over 4 years and had one dull 'D' string out of the pak.

Played some Prism's recently and found the tone just a little coarse for my taste. Now that I've got another bolt-on neck bass, I ought to give the XL's another try!!!

Best Wishes

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I got a set of D`addario Chrome flatts waiting for RIC, anybody use these?, my junky Boomersare almost completely dead (only had them on two weeks) cant wait to try the D's.

13. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I've used XL's and have been very satisfied with their sound, feel, longevity and pricing. As with any strings, make sure you wipe them down after playing.

I've tried Boomers in the past and was always disapointed. They sound good but I could never get a set to last very long.