daddy doesn't want to pay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rudeboymcc, Apr 7, 2003.

1. rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    literally. i don't have enough cash for a bass guitar and i really want to start. i asked my dad, and he said "what can you do with a bass guitar wihtout the rest of the band". as i will be playing it by myself. so i played him one of Jason Newstead's Bass solos. he didn't like it!!

he said it was very repetitive, and that teh notes were too deep and not varied enough.

my dad's used to many guitars and only sees the bass as a background instrument.

can anyone give me a nice solo that i can play him to try get him to like it? it will save me £200!
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    mmm Stu Hamm's Peanuts has both lows n highs.. he's doing 2 hand tapping :) some of that wooten tap stuff would work too
  3. try pulling teeth(anesthesia); some more metallica, but cliff burton. maybe he'll dig it...
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Dads never pay buddy. I had to get all of my stuff on my own. ALL of it. I was in the same place as you though, my dad is a guitar player, and said bass COULD NOT be played by itself, like it had to have guitar or drums to live :rolleyes: . He said I would give it up in a month. I learned "My Freind of misery" in the first week, and he just said "Thats nice.". So I thought I sucked, so MORE AND MORE AND MORE playing. My brother can still play some stupid 80's riff and make him smile, but when i rip thru donna lee (yeah right) he just walks away. but.

You will find a way bass brother. Just somehow make him asured of the fact you WON'T QUIT. Then he might give in a little.
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Have him read talkbass. He might learn something. Plus what Polly said.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Anything from michael manring..

try .. the fire sermon..
  7. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    When your old man asks, " What will you do without the rest of the band?", respond with, " What will the rest of the band do without ME??"

Tell him that the bass is a good instrument for teaching the values of playing well with others.

Tell him that not all musicians have the burning desire to become solitary, solo, self centered idiots ( meaning guitarists!)...( No, wait, scratch that. He plays guitar, right/)

Tell him you love the feel and sound of bass and that you are more apt to stick with an instrument you love than one you don't!
  8. rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    this forum's great, i didn't expect so many replies so soon. and thanks for the info, i'll download more and play him them. problem is the more i download the more i want a bass guitar to try the solo's on!.

he's gonna give me a chance though. he said i should borrow a bass guitar from my cousin (who doens't use it much, but it's good), and have it for a while. he then said "i'll give it back to your cousin when you get bored of it after the first week" !!!!. get bored of a bass??!!

he also said if i still wanted one, he'll buy me one. it would be harsh not to. letting me borrow someone elses, letting me play something i want so much and then tnot buying me one. ANYWAY, thanks.

btw, my dad doesn't play guitar, he's just used to listening to it, that's the music he likes.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You know, when I first started playing bass at about age 10, my mother bought me the cheapest piece of crap bass she could find. It was a used Greco hollowbody bass, strings were an inch off the body. It was insisted upon that I would never keep up with it. At the same time, my brother was given a brand new strat and a small amp. I was expected to practice through HIS amp when he wasn't using it.

Moral of the story, I continue to play in bands, gigging every Friday and Saturday at age 35, and my brother dropped playing after a year. It doesn't matter what you start with, just prove yourself and keep learning.
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Play him some vic or jaco.

Sounds like he just has a closed mind about it and chooses to remain stubborn however. Not much you can do with some people I am afraid. :)
  11. Your dad sounds like one of those guys who grew up listening to hard rock on a crappy little radio with speakers that would distort below 200Hz, and thus psychologically tunes out the bass and the kick drum.

Anyhow, save up some money, get yourself an Essex or a pawnshop bass of some kind, and go at it!3
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pete: 1
    Dad: 0
  13. Or if all else fails kick him in the testes and take his wallet. Then you'll ---> :bassist:
  14. You know what's scary? There are kids on TB right now whose parents aren't even 35, kids whose parents saw Metallica open for W.A.S.P. and remember Live Aid and were teenagers when The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles came out.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Here's an idea. He seems like he'd be willing to buy you a guitar. Have him buy you a guitar, then sell/trade it for a bass.
  16. Now that's some good capitalist thinking--but I'll take it one better.

Sell the guitar, plow the earnings into a risky but potentially lucrative investment (starting up a crack business, for example), and buy a bass with your profits. That way, your father can feel good about starting you on music, and you can have the satisfaction of having worked hard to establish a business--as long as you don't end up with a cap in your ass or as the "wife" of the head of a neo-Nazi gang in prison, of course. :D

By the way, what kind of stuff does your dad listen to, anyway?
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why not tell him that you can't form a band as a bass player until you learn how to play it!;)
  18. rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    the suggestions are endless, i think i'll go for the crack business one :D

i've been playing as a bassist in my cousin's band for three months, every sunday. no gigs yet but i was playing the likes of Entre Sandman whcih is good for me. but i couldn't practise unless i went to his hosue whcih is far away. it's that band i got to love it from.

@Phat Ham, Peter McFerrin
    i've thought of that, but then that would be disrespectful and rude. he'll never buy me anything again. i haven't told him about the marshal amp yet;)

@Peter McFerrin
    my dad doesn't listen to rock anymore. we're greek, and when he was young he told me he lsitened to some greek rock bands. they're not great, and i'm guessing yes he was listening to it from a mono radio in the middle of cyprus away from civilization.
    @Serene, he's three times my size :(
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Firstly - tell him that people dance to the bass and you want to make people dance!

Secondly - you don't want a Marshall amp - not good for bass!! ;)
  20. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Play him some Jaco! I defy him not to change his mind after hearing "Portrait Of Tracy" et al.

Ok, rub it in why don't you!! :D