Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DAEB tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Apr 9, 2002.

1. this post combines strings, general instruction, possibly setup and technique, so i thought i'd stick it here...

anyway, it just occurred to me today that tuning DAEB (low to high) could be really interesting. violins and cellos, i believe, are tuned in fifths like that. tuning this way instead of in fourths might push one's creativity, and there would be a bigger range than EADG.

but i've never heard of anybody using this tuning, so there must be something wrong with it. obviously you'd need much lighter strings for the E and B, and a heavier one for D, and there could be intonation issues.

i'd like to hear your thoughts in general, o wise ones.

2. Some upright bassists tune this way, but a whole step lower--CGDA. I am considering buying a fretless 4 and tuning CGDA and playing cello music on it.

3. that could be interesting, and it still goes higher than EADG.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Just do it you have nothing to lose.
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah there are some bad-mothas who play upright tuned cello style. lots of shifting, but on electric it shouldn't be so bad.

did it on my sterling for a while, it worked ok but you really need to get a custom set of strings to have it feel just like your bass only tuned differently. the E makes a floppy C and the G is kinda tight at A.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I play a bit of cello music on my regular 4... need the low C C# D sometimes, but I just ordered a 5er. Other than that it's easy in normal tuning.

7. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    There's a feature in this months Bass Player on a classical bassist who tunes in fifths (His name escapes me at the moment). His website also explains the concept very well.

I always thought that a 5 string tuned CGDAE would be cool. With a Hipshot Detuner on the C string and a 25 fret neck you have the range of a 7 string on a 5 string neck. But hey, that's just me being a weirdo.:D

8. except for broken strings and my precious, precious time.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    YEAH! Broken strings:)

10. I've got my fretless strung BEAD tuned CFA#D#. I've been experimenting with different tunings and I really like this one. DAEB sounds like it might be really cool, though.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Joel Quarrington of the TSO tunes in fifths(he is in the current Bass Player). I have E-mailed him before asking how difficult it would be switching from standard tuning. He said that it involves a lot of additional shifting, but it is not that hard. He also said that it "opens up" the bass more. The instrument speaks more freely with the extended range. An interesting idea....:)

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The bass strings on the original Chapman Stick are tuned in fifths.

I always wanted to try the Schecter five-string baritone/guitar (CGDAE, I think). The chord shapes would be like those on a tenor banjo (also tuned in fifths).