Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daft Punk - 'Human After All' (new album)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Feb 20, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's not released for a few weeks yet, but I've been listening to a preview copy of Daft Punk's new album, 'Human After All', for the last few days.

Some great grooves on this record! :cool: It's less "commercial" sounding than 'Discovery' and a return to the more house-based sound of 'Homework'. I wasn't overwhelmed when I first heard it, but it's definitely a grower!

I know that we have a few Daft Punk fans here on Talkbass, so just thought I'd give 'Human After All' a thumbs up in advance!

Favourite tracks at the moment are:
    'The Prime Time of Your Life'
    'Robot Rock' (which I think will be the first single)
    'Technologic'
    'Make Love'

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Bitchen, hopefully we get this at the station. I'm a pretty big daft punk fan. Awesome.

3. sounds cool- "around the world" had a great bassline.

one thing that's always bugged me- is that lead break in "aerodynamic" a guitar with really precise picking, or a synth through distortion?

4. "robot rock" is cool but on the whole they're kind of a one trick pony. it's very hard for me to listen to the whole album straight through.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just got this yesterday.... It.... sucks :(

Honestly, I am *Very* disappointed in it, there is no doubt in my mind that daft punk are electronic magicians and that they are very creative and have a lot of songwriting ability, but 'human after all' is such a let down for me. Maybe it's because discovery was soo good, maybe it's because they were just messing around, and they actually have another opus up their sleeves, but I really don't get how they could spend, what 4 years?(edit: Ha! it was actually made in 6 weeks!... well that changes my perspective a little..)and produce something as boring and uninspired as human after all.

Each song has a fairly neat groove, but there is virtually no spice to any of them, effects are used over and over again, there is very little emotion to any of them(even the track emotion sounds very robotic) Which is even more of a disappointment given the albums title! I was expecting more highly original and innovative electronic dance fusion funk stuff like they've done in the past, not whatever the hell is on 'human after all'

Very big let down. I'm going to go watch interstella 5555 and cry myself to sleep. :meh:

That said, robot rock does have some fun moments, but it gets really old about 2 minutes in.

The other album I got yesterday pat metheny's "the way up" however, is pretty excellent.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really hope this turns out to be the case for me. I *loved* homework right out the door, but 'discovery' was disappointing for me, however, a couple months after 'discovery' was released I really fell in love with it and it became one of my most played CDs, once interstella 5555 was released and the whole project came together. It's honestly one of the high points in music for me in the past few years. So, needless to say I had very high expectations for 'human after all'...well, hopefully it does grow on me. Well, there are some neat grooves on it, and there is so little variation that it is kinda a given that you'll be humming these tunes, but ugh, very disappointed none the less.

I wasn't hoping for another 'discovery' mainly because that project had a singular focus, and vision that shouln't be duplicated, but I was hoping for something as innovative.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Synth as far as I know.

8. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    I agree with Wrong Robot. Each song could have been shortened to 1 minute--the songs go nowhere. And I don't see how this could be much of a grower when you hear all there is to hear on the first listen. And some of the tracks are not only uninteresting, but annoying. I guess the title of the album is fitting?

9. It has been tabbed for guitar, but its all tapped and real fast. Tried doing it on my accoustic but sadly it didn't sound as good.

I think it'd sound better on a synth thou..

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thought I'd revive this thread to link to some Youtube videos of Daft Punk's set at the Coachella festival (their first live show in years).

Lots of footage available but these are some of the better clips:
    Intro / 'Robot Rock' :

11. Man those videos are awesome. Its a shame they don't do more live stuff. I know their playing at Global Gathering on Friday the 28th of this month, but sadly last time I checked day tickets had sold out.
    If you're interested http://www.globalgathering.co.uk/ has a full line up.

Quick edit: Daft Punks website also says something about a date in Ireland but I couldn't find anymore about it. Anyone got any info on this?