Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dag

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 17, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Anyone else into this group. I have their album "Righteous" and I must say it's really awesome. It's like a mix of funk, soul, and rock. Bobby Paterson is an awesome bassist too.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have both Dag C.D.'s and I like Righteous best too!
    I haven't heard anything about those guys in a few years.....they sure had everything....funky, good vocals & songwriting....and did I mention funky:D

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Dag is great. Lot's of funk and soul baby.

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Man!.....I'm happy that a least two more people in the world have heard that band:D

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I love the CD. It took a while to grow on me. I actually bought it used for a dollar. Kind of reminds me of Jamriqua (sp) but not as dance oriented. Sweet Little Lass and the Title Track both groove very hard. What's the name of the other album, Jerry?

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The second album was called "Apartment #635"!
    They added three more musicians to the band for that album.......I see them in used record bins cheap too! They probably got dropped by their lable, and off to the cutout bins:(

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I have their first album! ;)
    I do like "Righteous"(kinda sorta reminds me a little of a Heatwave tune).

Hey Jerry-
    Are you familiar with the TV show, In The Heat Of The Night? If so, who played the fretless bass
    fills?

;)

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You got me on that one Jim!......it would have to be a west coast player who does fretless work I guess......maybe Larry Kline or somebody like him!
    I've never seen the show....but I'll have to check it out now:D

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I love Dag! All that funk and those squirty synth lines--cool!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know this is kind of an older thread but I missed it the first time around.

I love DAG! They have some fat bass lines and tight grooves. I think both of their albums are really great but I like Apt. #635 better. I think it has the cooler bass lines. I've listened to them for a few years but don't know anything about 'em and I honestly don't even remember how I got into them. I think I originally read a review somewhere. Have any of you guys seen them in concert? Does Bobby Patterson play such tasty bass licks while he sings?

Are they still around in any form or partially under a different name? The All Music Guide link for Bobby Patterson links to a completely different Bobby Patterson (blues guy from Dallas, born in 1944). Anyone know if he's playing with anyone else?

brad cook

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, I thought this was about Dag Nasty.

12. Yeah, I think Dag were, are? (guess they've disbanded)a cool band. love the song "sweet little lass."

13. I don't know about Dag, but Dag Nasty is an awesome band.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Huh? :confused:

brad cook

15. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    Awesome band! Both of their CDs are great. I wish I could have caught them before they broke up. I think their last show was in Raleigh, NC at least a year ago. My wife was down in Chapel Hill and called me to tell me that she saw a poster for a Dag show that was being advertised as their last.