1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DAH! my Sadowsky is like a rollercoaster!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Sep 16, 2008.

1. DAHHHHH!!!

I just switched strings/guages, so a setup was in order. To date, I have not had to mess with any setup. I always used the same Sadowsky SS strings in the same guage, and had no adjustment issues.

Well, I was doing the setup, and after I put the new strings on, I eyed up the neck to see/check the relief. WHAT!! it looks like a rollercoaster track. It goes down a LITTLE scoop where there is "intended" relief in the neck, then around the 8th ish fret it goes back up.......then it goes down a bit and then up again!

In my years of playing bass, I've not encountered this. Is this a bum neck?

I brought it to the tech at my local shop, and without saying my findings, I had him look at it for a setup.....First thing out of his mouth is " wow, that's got a weird up and down thing going on with the neck".

So.........

I guess I need to contact Sadowsky, Send in the bass...on my dime.....and have them look at it......then have it sent back on my dime..........:rollno:

Any insight on this? Anyone have this with a Sadowsky? (By the way, it's a Metro RV5)

2. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    It sounds like a warped neck... I'm no expert, that's my best guess.

That sucks Bro... Good luck!

Any pics???

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    the real question is: do you wanna ride?

sorry i have no real input

4. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i had an ibanez do that to me, and took it to my tech and... honestly i dunno what he did but he got it back to normal

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Contact Mr. Sadowsky roger@sadowsky.com I am sure he can turn your rollercoaster into one of love. :)

6. I hope so! It's my favorite gig machine. :crying:

7. I've never even heard of such a thing. I hope this turns out well...

8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    It can happen to the best of them. I hope it get's resolved quickly!

9. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Do you think it happened amidst your string change? If it's as extreme as you describe it, I would imagine that you would have noticed it while playing.

In any event...weird.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Has the playability change? More buzzes? Are you saying the bass cannot be setup as intended with the new strings? Did you eye how the neck was before changing the strings? Maybe it was like that all along, but you just didn't notice.

"Eyeing" a neck for straightness or fret discrepancies is not always the most accurate method.

11. Is this the same bass you had all that trouble with a while back? If so, you might just have a bum neck... it happens. I had a Fodera that I had to return with the same problem a while back. It rarely happens, but 'wood is wood', and sometimes it just doesn't behave.

Edit: Per the above post.. eyeballing can be tricky. Does it buzz, etc. or does it not set up correctly? Or does it just 'look' funny to you? Per the post below, there is a touch of rise at the end of the Sadowsky neck by design.

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    To echo the above, contact the Sadowsky crew... I also recall hearing about (actually I think this was in the Behind the Notes video interview with Roger S) about Sadowsky fingerboards having a slight but deliberately-designed 'upwards bump' around the 15th fret(?), intended to counteract the tendency of Fender bass necks to bow around that spot. Apparently has no negative impact on playability, and adds stability (?). Not sure of the details, but that may account for some of what you're seeing.

13. There is a reason Sadowsky has the best customer service around. (IMO!)
    You'll see, and then I hope you edit your post.

You should have contacted them first before jumping to conclusions about how to get it handled.

I had a Metro RV5 that had some neck issues.
    Mind you, I'm VERY sensitive to my set ups and have pretty darn low action.
    I play with a pretty light touch- most guy can play my basses, but they get some buzz.
    Anyway, my Metro wasn't able to be set up how I liked/needed.
    Even my tech said it was for the most part going to be with-in spec. There was very slight issues close to what you described.

Contacted Sadowsky.
    Roger called Low Down Sound to get my number- I happened to be there when he called so they put me on the phone.

Roger flat out told me that it really was so minor and with-in what he deemed acceptable. Maybe a high fret her or there, which would be taken care of- no charge.
    But if I thought it would help, they would yank the frets, reshap the fingerboard and do a refret.
    I felt kinda bad considering that the man himself thought it was something minor and just a fret dressing would take care of it.
    I was going to be happy with that, but then he said, "Nevermind, we'll just reshape the fingerboard and re-fret it".

All on their dime.
    Mind you, I bought the bass new.

But I've heard of some pretty extraordinary things for even guys who bought used basses.

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Truss rods can do that to a neck. I'm a big fan of Roger Sadowsky. He's always been a class act. I'd surprised if he didn't take good care of you.

KO

15. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    Call Roger or email him. He is amazingly responsive to his customers. I honestly don't know how he does it. :)

16. This is a different bass. ;) That was my MV5. (too bright and clanky for me)

As far as the setup, I can't get the D to stop buzzing while fretted, and on the G, if I play above the 12 ish fret, I get a buzz BEHIND the fretted note, and if I play an open D with a high note on the G fretted, the G buzzes behind the fretted note as well.

I eyed it up, but also took measurements, to make sure I wasn't totally our of whack setup wise.

I knew there is a slight rise at the end of the neck by design, I just don't think it's this much, but that's why I'm here asking other owners.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Roger will do right. In the mean time, why not go back to the old strings and settings?

18. I agree that they have awesome customer service. (I've used them before)

And I'm not "jumping to conclusions" here......
    and I don't see a need to edit my post.

I didn't say "sadowsky makes crappy basses" or "this bass sucks" or "a $2300 bass shouldn't have problems", or "they have terrible customer service".

I know ALL basses can have a potential problem with any aspect of it.
    Like was said earlier...wood is wood.

All I wanted to know, is if this is "normal" (the rise near the end of the fretboard) or if mine was possibly extreme. Or if anyone of the other 1000 sadowsky players on TB have this as well, and can setup without issues.

This site is for asking/answering questions...yes? I have asked a valid question, and am looking for answers here with the wealth of knowlede of my TB brothers/sisters.

It cracks me up when someone mentions the name Sadowsky, and isn't throwing flowers around and skipping while humming happy melodies, that people jump all over them accusing them of slandering the good mans name.

I paid $2300 for this bass because I LIKE IT. I LIKE TO PLAY THIS BASS, I LIKE THE "SADOWSKY SOUND". THIS IS MY FAVORITE GIG BASS.

On another note......I had "issues" with my last metro. The Sadowsky crew too AWESOME care of me and my bass. I'm sure if I need to, I'll get awesome service this time as well, but I'll still be out $100 in shipping costs.

Sorry for the rant.
    thehurlatron out.

19. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I understand where you are coming from and I don't think you need to edit your post. Just keep us updated on how things go down. Asking someone to edit a perfectly reasonable post is censorship. I'd much rather have you say "This is what happenned", and then ten post down say "This is how they fixed it". It gives the whole picture and it provides insight to other players who might be thinking about a Sadowsky, or a Lakland, or a Genz Benz amp.

Dan

20. tinder

tinder

Apr 29, 2008
    Dundee, Scotland
    You should try saying something negative about a Ric or J Hall in the Rickresource forum then you'll know what trouble is:D