Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

daily affermations... with the help of my wife

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    guys repeat after me

"i am happy with the gear i have.
    i do not need that new epifani cab.
    my stingray sounds great.
    i am happy with the gear i have.
    isn't it time to replace that couch...or buy a dp custom..i mean coffe table.'
    Man this is harder than i thought.

2. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Good one..:) I was working on those same thoughts last week as I was aiding my wife in the purchase of drapes. If you thought shopping for basses was fun...well you ain't seen nothin yet..;)

Peace

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D

I will be repeating that for awhile. I was told I don't get to buy anything besides strings/essentials for the next couple months.

(she doesn't realize she left a big loophole with the whole "essentials" statement):D

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ahh... see, this is the benefit of waiting to get married. i've got all the righteous gear that i want, and what i don't have, i can get her to get me as presents. :D

shoot, you should see the bass she's getting me for a wedding present. :eek:

5. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    "i am happy with the gear i have. (but I could be happier)

i do not need that new epifani cab. (but it's hardly fair to leave it festering in that music shop going unused)

my stingray sounds great. (but a custom bass would sound better)

i am happy with the gear i have. (am I?)

isn't it time to replace that couch(..with a bass?)

...or buy a dp custom..i mean coffe table.(why get a coffee table....just use your amp)

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D :D :D

ROFLMAO!!!

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok guys i have opted for a divorce and to get my epifani/dp custom! kidding. hell i need to start teaching lessons or somethin'. i coulda taken up crack and it be less expensive than this.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    "... but honey, of course a brand spanking new Sadowsky 5 string bass is an 'essential!' I wouldn't even look at it if I didn't need it..."

I don't think that argument would fly at the Kelly house, if it goes for you, more power to you!

P@

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I learned this week that another one of my sons was one of the few accepted into a private school in my city. A new bass is now not even on the radar screen. I hope I can be satisfied with what I've got for a good long time!

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

"Bonuses" are being handed-out next week. I was pleasantly surprised...
    mine wasn't the milk-bone and pat on the head I was expecting :).

So let's see...

strings, strings, and more strings.

New pups for a used BBN4F Yammer I snagged the other day.

New pups for an old Ibanez fiver I've been promisin' to fix up (forever :rolleyes: ) for another TB'r.

A new Aguilar cab?

A down payment on a Demeter? :p

"...geez notduane, what do you think? should I get this?"
    "...why yes notduane. Definitely"
    "...aye-aye notduane"

11. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    See I'm hording gear while I'm young so I won't have that problem when I get married.

12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    My wife is a better apparel designer and seamstress than I am a bass player.

She has one middle of the line sewing machine. One.

Sucks.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Word!

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, when you put it that way, I know for a fact that argument wouldn't fly at my house, either. I was thinking on a little smaller scale than a brand new Sadowsky. Smaller things, like a pedal here and there, stuff like that.;)

15. I consider myself luckiy in that my wife shares my passion for some of the same interests as well as her own. She is in some ways as much of a gear and toy g33k as I am.

However she is a very good voice of reason at times. Otherwise I'm sure I would be eating nothing but rice, living by candlelight and getting used to life without heat so I could have a couple of PRS guitars, a Marshall 1/2 stack, a Carl Thompson fretless, a Custom Shop Fender Jazz, a...

Well you get the idea. :)

16. Now see, I've resolved the gear dilema.

1. My husband is really into woodworking.
    2. I buy cool tools for him.
    3. I get cool custom bass! :D

Lisa

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

exactly!!! except i need to find a really well paying job to make full use of this freedom.

every piece of gear i've bought during college (Triad, SSII, SWR IOD, Carvin poweramp and some other stuff) was bought with just gig money. imagine if i actually had a "real job!!!"

goes to check help wanted ads...GAS pressure building...

jason