Daimond Bass Comp Jr

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by recode, Jul 19, 2018.

1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Today Diamond posted in their Instagram (see pic below) that Bass Comp Jr is going to be available soon! They aslo told me so when I was emailing with their support team, since I care about a pedal dimensions. I want to pick up a compressor pedal in the nearest future and thrust me I've read all the thread on talk bass about compressors and from all of them (I mean pedals) I seem to like Earthquaker Devices The Warden, because of it's functionality, but at the same time I really like simplicity of Diamond. And heard complements on both pedals and as far as I remember both are on "Top pick" of Ovnilab guy(Bongo). I don't know what to do. IMG_20180719_185353.jpg

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

If you play a passive style Fender, I think you know what to do...Diamond.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  4. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Oh, wow, thank you, this was very helpful! But now I'm even more confused. >_< I don't like that Diamond comp does not doubles the voltage inside like EQD Warden does, I have only one 18v output on my power brick and I'm planning to use it with overdrive pedal, most likely. I heard a lot of good things about Diamond comp when in use with passive Fender style basses (I play Fender PJ bass). I'm sure that I will not be able to get this magical Diamond tone with EQD Warden, but it is capable of much more. The question is do I need a compression or I need do I need a tone enhancement tool like diamond comp, that's the question. I need something to my clean tone to keep it more consistent and more sustainy, when I don't use a drive.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Could you get something like a Godlyke Iso Pump? You may even find the performance at 9V to your liking since your instrument is passive.

6. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Yeah, I heard that about 9v as well. The thing is, I actually like me tone, not sure if I need to make it "better", but I want to make it more consistent, but dont want to squash it, both pedals seems to do the job well.

7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Passive basses at 9 volts should be fine. If you like the tone than the Diamond might not be for you because it imparts its own tone. I think you need to answer this question first: Why do I want a compressor?

8. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I need it to make my dynamics more even, I want every note to be heard.

9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Sounds like you are most wanting a compressor that is quite transparent with more control over threshold, attack, and release. The Diamond is great for punch and that "tone magic" but probably not the best at what you are wanting to do. Take a look at the Empress Compressor.

IvanC and Moosehead1966 like this.
  10. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  11. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Yeah, I saw that thread already, I don't know why, but I don't like the compression pedal with blend control, I don't like this idea of blending squashed sound with my clean sound. Empress Compressor is giantic, it is not pedalboard friendly. That's why I saw looking at Earthquaker Devices The Warden, it has all controls that usually studio compressors have and it is still not bigger than your regular Boss pedal. The thing is I think it's cool that you can get this magical tone from diamond comp, on the other hand if I will not like it, I will not be able to adjust it, unlike EQD Warden or Empress, you can get different kind of compression with those.

12. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Sounds like you have your answer. Get a Warden and Diamond and decide what you like.

recode likes this.
  13. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Yeah, I thought so as well. what can you say about using those compressors with overdrive pedal? or is it better to turn off comp when using overdrive?

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Am I the only one on this forum that uses the natural compression of an OD and not a compressor????

Even low dirt levels compress enough for huge tone and control

15. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I don't always want an overdrive in my sound. I'm using Sansamp TRI-AC(sound quite similar to BDDI on my settings), it has a drive control, but I use just a slight amount of it, to give it a little bit of a push, but I don't like how the drivier settings sound like, I like it as a preamp and cab sim, this is why I want to get my self an overdrive pedal, but again I will use that for a noticable drive sound, so for a clean sound I want more control over my sound. Another thing is that Fender basses do have a dead spots and strings on some frets sound louder that the others and it's not because I'm hitting harder or something, so hopefully compressor will help with that too, since it evens out the volume.

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Empress is not huge at all. It is absolutely pedalboard friendly. It’s not the smallest but it ain’t huge. I really loved the Empress when I had it. It is a great compressor that adds its own little flavor to your sound. Not like the diamond but it still has its own character. All th8ngs being considered though I really love the Doc Lloyd photon comp. really really sweet pedal.

17. patzilla83

patzilla83 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    I've actually tried this a couple of times, but IME the "compression" turns into "distortion" that just sounds like fret noise. Could've been the wrong OD for the job, though.

18. So I'm now sitting at 4 compressors in my arsenal before I saw this thread.

No good can come of this- my GAS is starting to flare up again (and I thought that the internal battle between next amp purchase- SVT vs. Quilter BB800 was bad enough!)...

19. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Interesting. What compression pedals do you have? And how to do use them?

20. Three of my pedals are DIY/kits-

1. guitarpcb.com Squishy Octopus (remaned L.A. Limit for my pedalboard)- a clone of a DOD280... I used this as my "go to/always on" compressor for quite a while- you miss it when it's not on! The Keeley Bassist has taken over my favor lately though...

LA Limit-1.jpg

2. Squishy Banana- based on the SSM2165/2166 compressor at Jack Orman's 'site (SSM2165 Compressor). I use this for slapping and serious sustain. It works VERY well for compressed, Chris Squire-sounding runs on my Yamaha BBN4 (neck PUP in series mode).

03- Squish Banana Compressor-Gate.JPG

3. Armstrong Orange Squeezer clone, from Perf and PCB Effects Layouts: Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer

No pics... yet... I'm still trying to figure out this one's worth to me. I started it, finished the build, and quite literally have it hanging by wires and jacks whenever I use it. It has a completely different feel than the other comps...

4. Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier- what a nice sounding comp!

JFGI... Still Honeymooning with this one! With palm-muting with a pick and tone rolled back, I can get a very TIC-TAC 60's or Jamerson sound (depending on bass). It also has a very "easy to forget it's on" sounds as well... It's beginning to uproot the L.A. as the main comp. lately.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021