Daion Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Dec 26, 2001.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In another thread, Turock posted pics of one of his basses, and identified it as a Daion.

It is a Daion Power Mark XX. I bought this bass (used) 15-20 years ago and information has been hard to find. I believe the center to be maple; top and back ???
    It is set up with very low action, no buzzing and plays effortlessly. All the components appear to be high quality. Matching-wood cavity and switch covers. Brass nut, bridge, and headstock inlay.

I hadn't really heard of them before Turock's post, so naturally the first music store I walk into after Chrstmas has a fretless flame maple Daion MK IIB on the consignment wall. Go figure. They want $999 for it.

BTW - Didn't play it. I was there on a mission and didn't have time, but I might haveta go back and correct that error of omission.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Daion was a Japanese make from back in the 80's. The Power XX was their top of the line model. The facings are stained ash, ala the Ibanez Musicians. I've seen them stained green and red, as well as brown or natural.

They were quite fine basses and guitars, but $999 seems a bit on the high side, since I remember seeing them new for about half that!

3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Thanx for the tip. I don't intend to buy though. I just may want to kick the tires a little since the name has popped up a couple times.

Then again, the last time a "different" bass name popped up a couple times, I bought one (Hanewinckel). In any event, if I do get another bass anytime soon, it'll be a fretless. I know I can get a Warwick Corvette fretless for ~$850 at GC or I can do a Warmoth Gecko for ~$1,250. Given that, I doubt I'd go ~$1,000 on a used Daion. Now, a used Zon.....

4. Basspalace.com has the Daion bass in stock from time to time.Never seen a fretless one offered though.They are usually in the $350.00-450.00ish range.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    New, in the early '80s they sold for more than a new Fender P or J. I agree, $999 is high, but only because they are not as popular or well known as other basses. I would say that they are much nicer than any $1000 bass you could buy today. I have seen a few on ebay sell for around $400 and that is a bargain. These are very well made instruments. I will never get rid of mine.
  6. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned one and it was a great bass although $999
    seems very high for this.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i own one as well and got it for REALLY cheap. a local bass guru said the were made to kinda do battle with alembic and lost..lol. guess people weren't to big on cost cutting. i love mine.
  8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yes, Daion was a Japanese Bass built in the 80's with the sole intention of competing with high-end basses. They were represented in America by MCI, a company in Waco, TX.

I have played several Daions and would stack them up against any high-end bass on the market then or now. I have had several luthiers offer me a boatload of money for either of mine (Wine Red and Natural finish). Why? Simple. In their words, "They don't build 'em like this anymore!" At least not for under $1,500 and up.......

Hope this helped a little bit.

PS I own a Ric 4003, a Warwick Corvette, and an Ovation Magnum. The Daions blow the Warwick out of the water and are more comfortable than the Ric

9. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hey Randall,

No offense intended, but you do realize this conversation hasn't been active in almost a year and a half, right? It's always funny to see thesethings pop up again out of nowhere... ;)

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yeah I realized that. Just trying to be a little helpful. Who knows, maybe if the topic jumps up again someone was wondering about Daion....:bassist:
  11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No problem--helpful is good. :) Welcome aboard.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Actaully i was wondering...thanks

13. me too.

i can get a savage for €225, including a stand + tuner. how do people here feel about it?
  14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Check out this Website:

I am the proud owner to three Daions (although none are the Savage models) and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are some of the nicest basses I have ever had the pleasure of playing! It's really a shame that they went under many years ago. But, they are quickly becoming collectors items. If you can find one in good shape for a reasonable price, I say JUMP!!
  15. already seen that site ;)

the savage is bolt on and the Mark were top of the line. I would like to know how the savage compares to the mark series. price has gone up, ill need to pay 300 euros (=$360 i think), im gonna check it out sunday.
  16. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, I've never played one myself, but the guy with the Daion Website has, I believe. You might EMail him for more info. He's a good guy and will be glad to help, I'm sure. Good Luck!
  17. Pepi

Feb 6, 2008
    Sorry for jumping on this thread some 4 years after the last post, but I just came across this Forum. After giving up playing for almost 15 years I'm slowly getting back into it, due to some pushing from my 17 year old guitar playing son. In any case, I did a search to see whats being said about Daions. I have a 1982 Power Mark XXB (black finish) that I've had for 20 years and I love it now as much as I did then. I also have a 1983 P-Bass Special that I got on a barter.
  18. JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    A friend of mine has a Daion, one of the coolest basses I've seen. Anyone know how much their worth these days?
  19. guyfergy

Feb 17, 2008
    I was told that these basses sold brand new for $1000 back in the day. I got one used many years ago on ebay and it plays like a dream. I say if you can find one in good shape, get it.
  20. GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There was an XXB at GC last night. They were asking $750 with no case. I went back today to help stimulate the economy and the bass was gone.