Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daion Mark XX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edgar, May 12, 2001.

1. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Has anybody heard about this brand? I just saw it in a local store in a very very small town. P and J pickups, 4 strings. Multi-laminated neck and body. Very good condition (easily 9 on 10). Asking price: 650.00$ CAN (about About 400.00$ US after negociation). Quite cheap for this level of woodwork.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You mean one of these?

//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1014280&a=7472462&p=25439513

3. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Yes, Exactly

The only difference is that the body is stain green.

4. Multi-laminated neck and body huh? Bass looks nice but sounds like the same way they make Fender Squire bass or guitars.....the low end affinity series....just pointing this out , a laminated body will not sound as good as an actual hardwood body unless its made very well......... laminated=plywood

5. Uh, no. A laminated body is not the same as plywood. And if you don't know the difference, I'm not letting you anywhere near my Wal. :) Plywood has lots of very thin alternating layers of equal thickness with the grain going at right angles to each other. Laminated bodies typically have a solid core and one or two moderately thick decorative outer facings with the grains all going the same direction, sometimes with very thin contrasting veneers in between.

"Hardwood" refers to particular varieties of wood, and there are plywoods made of hardwood and solid bodies sometimes made of "softwood" (like cedar).

Edgar--Yeah, I've seen and played the Daions, even a green one. They're pretty nicely made. The only problems I've seen is that I've seen one or two with twists in the necks. Like a lot of Asian instruments of the time (late 70's-mid 80's), the quality of the wood is somewhat irregular.

Mike

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Here's a coupla more pics. Looks a little better than an Affinity, don't you think? It is easily the best looking, and best playing bass I own (and I own a few). A very well made, good quality instrument. There are several little "nice touches" on this instrument. For example: notice the control cavity and the route for the switch have matching wooden covers instead of black plastic.
    I have had this bass for approx 15yrs and I have had no problem with neck twisting, and I would think a laminated neck would be less prone to twisting than a one piece neck.
    Good luck finding much info. I bet that green color does look great.

//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1014280&a=7471466&p=48436155

//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1014280&a=7471466&p=48436154

7. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Turock,

About the laminated neck warping, I've read in an interview somewhere about John Paul Jones that he own an Alembic with a warping neck. Pretty good chance that it was a Serie One or Two (I believe it is 5 and 7 pieces).

About Daion, I've heard that the company went belly up a long time ago.

8. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    I had a chance to play one once when one o' my basses took a ****.............i used as a backup some kid had it there........I thought it was great heavy but great it had a very hi end sound to it very active sounding but I thought it was great