Daisy Chain Cab Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Aug 29, 2004.

1. I did a search but didn't really find anything useful so here goes...

It's my understanding that when you daisy chain two cabs of equal power handling, the wattage doesn't just double, it's less than twice the wattage of either of the single cabs? :confused:

Does anyone have a formula for what the powe handling of the dais chained pair ends up being?

for instance i'm planning on buying a Tri 112 which is 350watts and an 8ohm cab. i'm powering it with a bridged RMX850. if i daisy chain two of the cabs(later on), it will be a 4ohm load and i'll be able to get the full 830watts out of my poweramp, but how will my headroom be? :confused:
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It should be twice the power handling, but I've heard some people say that the wattage isn't always distributed evenly. I'm not so sure if that's true though.
  3. hmm...so if it's actually double the wattage of one cab, that means i'll be running 830watts into 700watts...that's not a really good amount of headroom :(
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually, it sounds like a great match to me. You can run a 2,000w amp if you like but at the end of the day, those speakers are happiest when fed 700w or thereabouts. Even the guys who use oversized amps will tell you to use caution. You can still blow speakers with too much power, even if it's clean.
  5. Ahh good old petebass bringing the good news:D