Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisy Chain on RMX 850

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Please someone tell me its possible to use more than one GK Neo cab at a time on a QSC RMX 850 power amp in bridged mode. The GK site shows only one plug on the back of a cab and you cant (to my knowledge) connect two cabs to the back of a RMX 850 in bridge mode.

Thanks for any help.

2. C'mon...somebody?

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Just an idea... but maybe you can hook one up via Speakon and one Banana....

Dont try it though, at least until someone who really knows for a fact either confirms or disproves that theory.

4. Yeah, I thought about that, but dont know if it works.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I checked the GK specs for the Neo Cabs. It looks like it has one Speakon Jack and one 1/4" jack. You can use that to Chain.

CONNECTORS: 1xHMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon,
    1x1/4" (Full Range Only)

Voila. :D

6. So that Speakon can be used to daisy chain?

For some reason looking at it, I thought you might not be able to do that. Sweet.

If so, wouldnt you just use an everyday 2 conductor speakon to speakon?

I just got a Neo12 off BassNW and I plan on puttin a Neo 15 underneath that for outdoor gigs. Thats why Im a litle concerned about the whole thing.

BTW, thanks for your help, Chariot

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm not sure, but I think that the specs are saying that if you have a biamp-capable head (such as most GK heads) the speakon jack will work with it, and split the signal to the horn and speakers separately and such.

I'm pretty sure that you can just hook it up standard into an RMX, if you have your Speakon wired for Mono-Bridge. Run the mono-wired end into the amp, the other end into the 12 cab, and then have a 1/4" speaker cable chain that to the 115 cab.

It oughta work.... if it didnt, I cant see how GK could take themselves seriously :p

8. Hoping so. Im gonna try it out with my current 2x10 onto it. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Man, if not, it kinda seems like GK would be shootin themselves in the foot by not makin the cabs more compatible. Oh well.

Thanks again

9. bump

10. Anyone else have any input?

11. you could use the binding posts on your RMX with 2 1/4 inch cables if you get no help on the way the cabinet connectors are wired. Dan Elliot is the guy to clear this up for you. :)

12. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    You can certainly use both the banana plugs and Speakon output on the RMX 850 at the same time. We use that amp for monitors and do this all the time. The only thing to be sure of is that you use the 2 positive banana connectors on the amp for bridge mode.

13. Im hoping the to cabs can be connected via 1/4" plugs on the back of them, as I already have the kind of cabling that would allow that.

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That's the rig my band's bass player is going to use with his Avatar cabs, when he gets them. I think that chaining is the primary purpose for the 1/4" jacks.

15. Hope so, What I really hope is that the single twelve will carry me until I have the money to really worry about this whole thing. But its always nice to know that I can do what Ive been planning on.

Thank for the info.