Daisy-chained power and the boards that love them

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by firstbassman, May 27, 2005.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I'm fairly new at using effects, and really unexperienced with electrical theory, and this is my first attempt at a pedalboard. I'm looking to set one up now - with a Sansamp BDDI, Boss TU-2 Tuner, Digitech Bass Squeeze and Boss Chorus, and I expected to run everything daisy-chained through the tuner power converter. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't blow anything out or anything.

What's the advantage to getting a board with built-in power? I asked a salesperson once and he said that it "regulates power", but I don't know if that's any more efficient or sensible than just putting a surge protector on a regular board. I've seen lots of them on Ebay - mainly those canvas bag type things by SKB for $50. Seemed pretty simple, easy, and cheap. Would the power still be daisied, then?

I just had to start putting something between my bass and amp, didn't I?
  2. Just daisy from your Tuner, put all the pedals on a piece of plywood in a Salvation Army suitcase for $2 and you'll be set. If you haven't bought an adaptor yet, get a Visual Sound 1-Spot or the Godlyke Powerall...both have a much higher amperage than the standard Boss adaptor. (800-1000 mA compared to 200 mA)

This is what I do, and it works great.

As for 'regulating power'...I doubt it. I used to use an SKB powered board, and when it took it apart to find any 'regulating', all the power jacks were just soldered to the adaptor jack. No circuitry, resistors, or anything.
  3. Actually, The Godlyke is 1700 mA... :)

Anyway, I purchased an Electro Harmonix pedal board-bag. This comes without buildt-in power support. But if you allready got adaptors, there is no point in that. I haven't got the time to set up my pedal board yet, but I'm sure it'll be great :)