Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisy-chaining a GK MB800 to a GK MB500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigEarl, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Can this be done?

I have an Accugroove Tri-115L and an Epifani UL2-410, I would like to power each individually putting the MB800 on the 8 ohm on the 115 (for 500 watts) and the MB500 on the 4 ohm 410 (for 500 watts) making a rather formidible 1000 watt monster.

I know I can buy a splitter and send an individual line into each off my bass, but is there a way to hook them together ...without it being a kluge?

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com, JPTR FX North American Distributor
    Effects send out on the 800 to the effects return on the 500

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

^ DONE. Let the room shaking begin! :)
    I have done this the exact same way from the Fusion 550's effects send to the 800RB's effects return. Who needs the PA? :cool:

4. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    But wouldn't both speakers then be connected to the 500?

5. B-string

Nope. The effects send is a preamp out. The effects return interrupts the preamp to power amp signal chain, anything that comes from the tip and sleeve of the cable will feed the power amp.

6. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Then that's exactly what I will do. Now I am awaiting the old "don't mix speaker size/type" flame war!

Thanks all!

7. B-string

DON'T MIX SPEAKER SIZES!!!!

Feel relieved? :D

Note: When I chained the 800RB from the Fusion I ran A 412 from the Fusion and 4 15" from the 800RB :)

8. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Holy moly, B, that's some serious cone acreage, bro. Must've moved massive air!

9. B-string

We played on a wooden show trailer. Everybody got a massage, PA took a rest from bass duty and six florescent tubes fell from the overhead lights.

It was FUN! Our ears rang for a day and a half though.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Hair cells in the cochlea generally "scream" (ring) for 12 to 24 hours after being dealt a lethal shock. Congratulations, you seem to have removed an above average percentage of the sense you use to experience and make music. :bag:

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A few questions (of anybody):

With the effects loops - of both heads - being used in this manner, wouldn't that severely limit your options for using effects? Like, requiring you to plug into your effects chain first, then feeding into the input jack of the MB800 (in this case)? Are there any other options for using effects?

With this configuration...

...would that not effectively put the preamp section of the MB800 in control of the power amp sections of both heads? In which case, one still would connect the MB800 directly to the Accugroove, and the MB500 directly to the Epifani - and operate both cabs via the MB800 controls?

Just clarifying... :meh: :ninja:

MM

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you plug your pedals into the first amp's effects in then there shouldn't be a problem. I don't use pedals so it wouldn't affect me. :)

13. Actually, this kind of set up bypasses one of the pitfalls of mixing cabs. You get to power them separately which means you can send less to the 15 if need be.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can have differing levels of volume but the EQ is coming from the first amp in the chain so you can't EQ each cab differently.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank goodness someone got that done.................

BassikLee likes this.
  16. ^^^ this - and power both amps form the same AC power outlet

17. B-string

Don't care how old you get, every once in a while you still get stupid :D? I guess it was an Iron Butterfly concert from decades ago (three day hearing loss) that inspired that lapse in good judgement :)

18. this is correct (slaved) - you need a splitter to use both amp EQs

19. B-string

Or MB800's effects send to an eq before the effects return of the MB500. BTW both masters and the Boost on the MB500 will still be active.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're talking about stomp box effects pedals, they should go in the main input anyway. The loop is generally line level, so for rack effects.