1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Daisy Chaining Ampeg 210av's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gibraltaar, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Gibraltaar

Gibraltaar

Jan 31, 2016
    Colorado
    Quick question here about daisy chaining 2 ampeg 210avs. I have a darkglass microtubes that I will normally be using to power an ampeg 8x10, but Im wondering if I could use it on occasion for smaller gigs with my 2 ampeg svt 210av's if I use the lower 2 ohm setting (giving it 500 watts @ 4ohms, and 350 @ 8ohms) and watch the master volume etc. Problem is, the darkglass only has one speaker output, but I would like to run both cabinets. Will daisy chaining the 210's result in a 16ohm load? If so, this doesn't seem usable with the darkglass, but I've read conflicting things about ohms, and series vs. parallel, daisy chaining etc. Any way to connect these up safely/usable? Like I said, it's not the default setup I'm pursuing, but It could be useful on the smaller rooms where I'd still like to get that darkglass tone. I'm a newb when it comes to this, and wanted some sagely advice before I go blowing up my gear. Thanks in advance.

2. SVT 210-AV Cabs are 8 Ohm. If your darkglass has one outlet only, you should make a Y cable which would connect your 2 cabs in parallel (4 Ohm). We used to do that kind of things a long time ago.

3. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Daisy chaining your cabs puts them in parallel. If they are 8ohm cabs, daisy chaining 2 of them will give you 4 ohms. If they are 4 Ohm cabs, you will have 2 Ohms.
    I noticed that about the Darkglass having only one speaker outlet. The y cable would do the same as daisy chaining.

4. IBJammin

IBJammin

Apr 16, 2015
    Daisy chaining two 8 ohm cabs will get you 4 ohm load. Two SVT 210AVs can handle 400 watts. Provided you watch your volume, you should be fine to daisy chain them.

freedomryder and Stumbo like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Especially how much bass you have from the amp.

IBJammin likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    One cable from the amp into the first cab...Second cable from the first cab into the second cab.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Be sure to press Min Load button.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    +1.
    SVT 210-AV is 8 ohms, so two of them in parallel will be 4 ohms.
    I think I get where the question is coming from, referring to what's in the manual:
    upload_2017-2-28_15-41-9.png

So it looks to me like you'd have some power limiting using the 2 ohm setting. This is a rather interesting feature!

freedomryder and Stumbo like this.
  9. Gibraltaar

Gibraltaar

Jan 31, 2016
    Colorado
    Man, you guys are the best. Thanks a ton. And for what it's worth, the darkglass absolutely demolishes! Like I said, the 210avs (great though they sound) aren't my first choice for this head, itll just be sweet to have access to the b3k and vmt features at smaller gigs if the situation calls for it. Great news, and much appresh!