1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Daisy Chaining cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duncmanxy, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Hey guys,
    I am thinking about getting 2 Ampeg Pro Neo 4X10 Bass cabs to use with my SVT 4-pro head.

I have never used more than 1 cab before so I have no idea how daisy chaining them works.
    The Pro neo cabs have a 850 watts rms power handling at 8 ohms, so does that mean if I daisy chain 2 of these cabs they will be 1700 watts rms power handling at 4 ohms?

This question has probably been answered 1000 times but I couldn't find the answer anywhere so apologises in advance :)

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Yes. Makes no difference if you use one or two outputs from the amp, either. Hook the cabs together, then one to the amp OR both cabs to the amp, and not to each other. You still have combined power handling and 4 ohms. There is a teeny chance this isn't true (I have no personal experience with the amp or cab) but that's the standard way companies tend to wire their stuff to work. No reason to believe the amp won't operate at 4 ohms, and if you know for a fact the cabs are 8 ohm, you got it.

3. On paper that's correct. In practice the cabs can probably still be farted out if you don't listen out when cranking it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, but it'll be so loud at that point he'll start puking ;)

5. Sweet. I'm trying to find somewhere around here that has 2 of those cabs to try out.
    At the moment I am using a Ampeg 8X10 - such a pain to lug around so hopefully having 2 4X10 might be a bit easier...and hopefully that can handle some more power ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014