Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisy Chaining Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    All right... 20 years of playing and I'm still a technical idiot.

I'm looking at a cab at the moment which has only one Speak On connector and one 1/4" jack on the plate. If I choose to add another cab later my optoins are to daisy chain the cabs or run my amp in stereo. My amp will not be able to supply enough power to the cab at 125 watts in stereo at an 8 ohm load. Therefore, I'm wondering, if I run the amp bridged to the Speak On jack of the 1st cab, can I daisy chain a second cab using the 1/4" from the 1st to the 1/4" of the second? This way I am using entire 600 watts the amp produces bridged at a 4 ohm load. I'm just not sure if I can go from speak on form the amp to the 1st cab and then 1/4" from the 1st cab to the 2nd.

Thx.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It'll work fine.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as those jacks are wired in parallel (they almost all are - in fact if they were series jacks they'd be clearly marked as such) then you can daisy chain the cabs.

however, be sure that the amp you can use is capable of running into a 4 ohm load in bridge mono mode. if it can only run into 4 ohms or higher per side stereo, then it can only run into 8 ohms or higher bridged.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It's OK in bridged mono at 4. I've used it this way in the past with one cab. Thank you both.

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Why don't you just run your power amp in parallel mode and send each cab a channel of 600W at 8ohms?

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    never thought of that, packer. is it possible with a Carvin DCM 600?

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
  8. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Yes, for 125W RMS at 8 ohms as he said in the original post. The bridged power is 600W into a 4 ohm load.

Daisy chaining the way you describe will work just fine! Enjoy the low end. ;)