1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Daisy Chaining EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sazazie_Spring, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hey!
    So, i’m currently in the process of ordering some parts for a custom bass i’m making, and i was wondering how far you could take the solderless passive pickups

I know on the EMG website they say that you can wire 1 or 2 into the bass and have the wiring schematics for them, but could you fit a third in there as well? or is that too much for the wiring to handle?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you can wire in as many pickups as you want, it's just that once you get past one or two the returns start to diminish and the result just gets weaker and worse-sounding.

3. ah okay, thank you for the reply
    do you know how much impact the guitar pickup would have?
    it’s going to be sandwiched between a soapbar ( neck ) and a Thunderbird ( bridge )

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Which guitar pickup? Lots of guitar pickups work great for bass, and lots of guitar pickups are lousy for bass.

5. the EMG Passive S3

6. or the S4, either one really

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Without ever having used either of those, just looking at their specs, I think either would work. The dual-rail S4 would probably have a beefier low end and smoother highs, but not hugely different than the S3.

Main thing here is string spacing. You want to make sure your strings are about 2.1” or less where they cross over that pickup.

Pickup placement (how far from the bridge) has a big impact on the sound too.