Daisy chaining / ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt2, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Hey Guys, first post :bassist:

So I've been playing bass for a while, but I've never really learned much about amps... Being playing a pretty bad 90's Peavey rig for a little too long now.

Anyways, it's time to upgrade so I'm planning on going for an SVP-Pro / Mackie or QSC power amp and a couple of Lab Systems speakers, which some of you may not have heard of. (Gday to all the Aussie's that dig Lab Systems. :))

I thought i had the whole ohms / bridging stuff down till I thought about daisy chaining the speakers.

Say I've got two 8 ohms cabs. They can run in stereo off the power amp @ 300w per side. Is it possible to run the amp mono bridged at 4 ohms (say 1400w) and then daisy chain the speakers together so they're rated at 4 ohms for a nice match?

Obviously this will mean a big gain in wattage, which I know isn't everything, just trying to figure out what is actually possible.

2. If your amp will drive 2 ohm loads in stereo, it'll work. Just go bridged output of amp to 1 speaker, then from that speaker to the 2nd cab.

The 2 cabs together will be a 4 ohm load. But running bridged, each side of the stereo amp sees that 4 ohm load split in half, so it has to support 2 ohm load in stereo.

3. Randy,

Yes, you can. That would probably be the best way to run things if the cabs are similar and sound well together. Having them on separate channels gives you the option of turning one up or down compared to the other, but the benefit of the extra wattage might be something to try.
    Since both of the cabs are 8 ohms, daisy chaining them together in parallel would be putting a 4 ohm load on the amp. Since we know most amps will bridge into 4 ohms, you'd be good to go.
    The amp does not need to bridge into 2 ohms.

4. Yeah, forgot to mention that the power amp runs @ 2 ohms.

Thanks very much for the help!

5. True....

Ah, many amps don't bridge to 4 ohms. I didn't actually say the amp needs to bridge into 2 ohms, I said each channel of the amp must be able to handle 2 ohm loads in stereo in order to run bridged at 4 ohms...

Essentially when bridged at 4 ohms, each channel of the amp sees a 2 ohm load...

6. I misunderstood you earlier and thanks for coming back and explaining.

7. No problem, I'm not always the clearest poster.. Sometimes what I'm thinking doesn't reflect what I'm writing... :D