Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisy chaining question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobOtto, Aug 22, 2002.

1. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    First of all forgive my ignorance on all of this but I have been running a combo amp for a couple years so I never had to worry about any of this.

My question is this: I have a Hartke 3500 head. It has two outputs, each marked 8 ohms. I have 2 bass cabs. One is a Hartke 115XL and the other is a Gens Benz 2x10. Both are rated at 8 ohms and both have two 1/4 in. jacks marked 'input.'

To daisychain I need to connect these two cabs but how is that possible if they only have inputs on them and no outputs?

Also, if I connect each cab to one of the two outputs from my amp is it getting 8 ohms or 4 ohms of resistance?

This is all very perplexing to me. I bought the Hartke used so I am without manual and I want to make sure I am getting the most out of this rig that I can.

I'll ask about "compression" in another post.

Any help is much appreciated,

RobOtto

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Rob, welcome to TB. Denton is a nice place, you going to school up there?

Anywho, I don't use Hartke. But with most systems, you would just connect from the amp into cab #1, and use the other jack (marked input in this case) to connect cab #2. Connected this way, your amp would see 4ohms.

If you connect one cab to each output from the amp, the amp will only see 8ohms per channel, as that is what the cab's are.

Again, I don't use Hartke, but I'd try the first option, as you will get 4ohms.

Can someone back me up on this?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you can either run one output from the amp into one cab and then run the cab into the next from its other input. this second "input" is really an output.
    -or- run each output from the amp into one cabinet each, i would recommend doing it this way over dasiy-chaining in option 1. either way it becomes the 4 ohms your head will see.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Hey Rob,

Connecting the cabs via the 2 outputs or via 1 cab to the other will both give the same result, which is a 4ohm load.

If you want a manual, you can download it from www.samsontech.com

Greetz,
    Awesome

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If running both channels into 8ohm cabs, how will the amp see 4ohms per side?:confused:

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The 3500 can only drop to 4ohms w/ both channels running. I.E, one outpt can hit 4ohms, or both combined can only hit 4, not 4 each?

And they wonder why I use Ampeg:p

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    it's not physically 2 outputs, it's 1 output with 2 parallel outputjacks.
    In both ways the cabs will be connected in parallel with each other a give a 4ohm load.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Gotcha, thanks.

9. Exactly. The inputs on the cabs work the same way.

10. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the info and the link to the manual. Both will come in handy I am sure. I am suprised at how complicated all this is. I can put a computer together with my eyes closed but I don't know top from bottom with all of this music equipment it seems.

And yes, Denton is a hell of a town, most musicians per capita of any city in the country last I heard. Lots of small venues to play and plenty of short haired, tatooed ladies to make the googly eyes at.

Thanks again!