1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Daisy Chaining Ver's Strait out of Amp!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Apr 18, 2010.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    NOw This is a lil somthin i dont quite understand and have been wondering about for awail...maybe in my 14 years of playing i have been missing something!!! But why do a lot of people Daisy Chain their Speakers?? I have never done it i dont see why i would need to when i have 4 output on the back of the amp...i just run 2 Speakon Cables to both of my Cabs.... There by not needing to daisy chain it!!!...Is there something different about Daisy Chaining it vers Use both out puts on the Amp???:meh: Seems to be a no brainer to me But maybe i am just slow or have been missing out on something great these past 14 years!!...So please Enlighten me on it!! Thankx!!

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    They're electrically identical. In both cases, the two cabs are wired in parallel to the output stage of the amp (unless there's some pretty unusual wiring arrangement in there). Any difference is just down to personal preference or convenience.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    If you have a 4 ohm input, you can daisy chain two 8 ohm cabs(or four 16 om cabs) to get the ohms to match for the most output.

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I can See doing it if you only have one input... but if you have two input's then what the point...i mean the 4 ohm input is only 4 ohms if that the load you putting on it...it you put an 8 ohm load on it it will still work but at the 8 ohm rating of the amp!!

5. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    because not everyone has 4 outputs on the back of their amp. Some people might want to use more cabs than they have outputs.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    If there's a single output on the amp, then connecting two 8 ohm cabs "daisy-chained" will give a total impedance of 4 ohms, yes - because the internal wiring of the cabs actually means they're connected in parallel (unless you rewire them and use a custom cable arrangement, as I said).

Three 16 ohm cabs connected this way would actually give you an impedance of 5.33 ohms. You'd need four 16 ohm cabs in parallel to lower the load to 4 ohms.