Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisy Chaining

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I am considering a 2x10 8ohm cab addition to my 4x10 4ohm cab. Both will be run of a 400 watt 4ohm head.

By, plugging the head into the 4ohm cab and then daisy chaining from the 4x10 to the 2x10 8ohm cab, will I be in danger of damaging anything?

2. Yes, if the amp is only rated for a 4 ohm load, you will probably damage it if you run it into a 2.67 Ohm load (8 // 4 = 2.67).

The single 4 ohm cab is all your amp can handle.

Chris

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Well, ain't that the ****...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well hold on, it is possible that the head can handle 2 ohm loads. Unlikely I suppose, but don't write it off without knowing what head it is! What head is it?

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    The head is a Yorkville 400BH - She won't handle a 2ohm load, Capt.!!!

Who make's 4ohm 2x10's?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That won't help you - using two 4ohm speakers would yield 2 ohms. :(

So the question is, 8ohm 4x10 ! :)

7. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    You're right, I realized that as soon as I posted.
    So, I guess I can't get there from here, eh?

My 4x10 is an Ampeg SVT HLN (1 year old). I'm not getting rid of it, either. Beautiful cab.

I also really like the Yorkville head but am well aware of what else is out there. Unfortunately, I don't have $1400 CDN to drop on an Ampeg head.

Hmmm...maybe I'll look into that SansAmp Bass Driver afterall....

8. A while back, I saw in Bassplayer a diagram for a box that would let you run any 2 cabs in series. It was a plastic box with 3 jacks, costing about 5 bucks. Using the speakers you have would be a 12ohm load, more than safe. But of course the output of the Yorkville would probably be down around 250 watts. Cheers.