Daisy Chaining

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I am considering a 2x10 8ohm cab addition to my 4x10 4ohm cab. Both will be run of a 400 watt 4ohm head.

By, plugging the head into the 4ohm cab and then daisy chaining from the 4x10 to the 2x10 8ohm cab, will I be in danger of damaging anything?

2. Yes, if the amp is only rated for a 4 ohm load, you will probably damage it if you run it into a 2.67 Ohm load (8 // 4 = 2.67).

The single 4 ohm cab is all your amp can handle.

Chris

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Well, ain't that the ****...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well hold on, it is possible that the head can handle 2 ohm loads. Unlikely I suppose, but don't write it off without knowing what head it is! What head is it?

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    The head is a Yorkville 400BH - She won't handle a 2ohm load, Capt.!!!

Who make's 4ohm 2x10's?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That won't help you - using two 4ohm speakers would yield 2 ohms. :(

So the question is, 8ohm 4x10 ! :)

7. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    You're right, I realized that as soon as I posted.
    So, I guess I can't get there from here, eh?

My 4x10 is an Ampeg SVT HLN (1 year old). I'm not getting rid of it, either. Beautiful cab.

I also really like the Yorkville head but am well aware of what else is out there. Unfortunately, I don't have $1400 CDN to drop on an Ampeg head.

Hmmm...maybe I'll look into that SansAmp Bass Driver afterall....

8. A while back, I saw in Bassplayer a diagram for a box that would let you run any 2 cabs in series. It was a plastic box with 3 jacks, costing about 5 bucks. Using the speakers you have would be a 12ohm load, more than safe. But of course the output of the Yorkville would probably be down around 250 watts. Cheers.