Daisy Rock - Sticker Shock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBMS, Aug 24, 2005.

1. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I teach middle school band, and have from 15 - 20 electric bass players in my classes; half are girls. A sixth grade girl showed me a bass she wanted to get .. a bright pink Daisy Rock. I thought they were cute, and saw the store owner at Walgreens later, who told me he sells them through their children's catalog division. I didn't ask about the price; I thought they were inexpensive. Today she showed me the price - $547.00 without any extras. She could get an Ibanez starter set for $275.00 in town. She could buy an Ibanez SR505 for a little more. I looked at her catalog, and there were endorsements from Hillary Duff to ZZ Top. Any of you planning to trade up to a Daisy Rock? MY
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Now, there's a statement I never expected to ever see :eek: :confused: :D

Seriously, they aren't bad basses for the market they are directed towards, but they really aren't a "trade-up" from anything. I, too, work with very young players (several girls) and have had the opportunity to play the Daisy's here and there, and like I said, not bad .....

That price seems VERY high to me, like almost $200 too high. They routinely sell in the high $200, low $300 range for most of the "cute" models ..........
  3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  4. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
  5. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Yeah, I'd say $350 tops for one of those things. They're OK but no way worth $500...
  6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wouldn't even spend $300 for one. I might have bought a Daisy Rock bass for my young daughter, but balked at spending that price when I could get a short scale SX J for $120.
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    No but I might plan to sell my gilrfriends Daisy Rock guitar :0.
  8. I looked at them when I was looking for a bass for my 12yr old. I got a much better deal on a great starter by getting a short scale SX jazz from Rondo. :hyper:
  9. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Isnt there an excellent violinist/bass player at your school? :D

...oh wait...

That "store" is notoriously out of date with current pricing... I havent bought anything there since the early 90's...
  10. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i keep trying to get my little bro to get one. hes 15, i think he wants the butterfly or the heart :scowl: i wish he'd get the flower
  11. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Wolfehollow, I see the violinist/bass player's reputation recedes him! :eyebrow: OTOH, I can safely say you are as good a player as he any day of the week! :hyper:
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think I have found my next bass.
  13. 'Nuff Said.
  14. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Wait, hold on a minute... Walgreens sells Daisy Rocks???? Isn't Walgreens a pharmacy?
  15. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    he saw the store owner at Walgreens... the store isnt Walgreens...

16. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ok, the owner of a store who sells instruments to the school in other words? In that case, maybe the problem is that she's selling to the school at full MSRP and not at street prices.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree...definitely shouldn't be charging full MSRP. I didn't get the feel that this was a deal for a bunch of them for the school, but if that's the case, its even more of a rip-off. Even the Ibanez package at the listed price is a bit much.
  18. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    the said store is "expensive"... to say the least.
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Hairlines recede. :p
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Intentional maybe?