Daisychaining speaker cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 4, 2002.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I might buy a power amp which I would want to run in bridged mode for maximum power. There is only one speaker output when running bridged and I want to run two 8 ohm cabs off of it and get to 4 ohms impedance. Will daisychaining the cabs do this for me? When you daisychain speakers is that series or parallel wiring? Can you do this with any speaker cab with 2 jacks? Are there any sound/safety concerns to consider when doing this? Thanks
  2. You got it right.

It would be parallel, and yes - 2 eight ohm cabs together gives you 4 ohms.

As for the cabs with two jacks, that is what they are there for. Run you cable out of the power amp into cab #1. Insert speaker cable into the second jack, then into cab #2.

As for concerns, just make sure that EACH cab can handle 1/2 of the total power output of the power amp. Each cab will share the wattage output.

For example, your head puts out 800 Watts @ 4 ohms when bridged. Each cab should be rated for at least 400 watts @ 8 ohms. When linked together, the cabs will be rated at 800 watt minimum @ 4 ohms.

For more info on parallel and series wiring, go to http://www.avatarspeakers.com then click the link to speaker wiring.