Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daisychaining speaker cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 4, 2002.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I might buy a power amp which I would want to run in bridged mode for maximum power. There is only one speaker output when running bridged and I want to run two 8 ohm cabs off of it and get to 4 ohms impedance. Will daisychaining the cabs do this for me? When you daisychain speakers is that series or parallel wiring? Can you do this with any speaker cab with 2 jacks? Are there any sound/safety concerns to consider when doing this? Thanks

2. You got it right.

It would be parallel, and yes - 2 eight ohm cabs together gives you 4 ohms.

As for the cabs with two jacks, that is what they are there for. Run you cable out of the power amp into cab #1. Insert speaker cable into the second jack, then into cab #2.

As for concerns, just make sure that EACH cab can handle 1/2 of the total power output of the power amp. Each cab will share the wattage output.

For example, your head puts out 800 Watts @ 4 ohms when bridged. Each cab should be rated for at least 400 watts @ 8 ohms. When linked together, the cabs will be rated at 800 watt minimum @ 4 ohms.

For more info on parallel and series wiring, go to http://www.avatarspeakers.com then click the link to speaker wiring.