1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dakota Red 51 P Bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wictod, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    Hi All,

Just built another P Bass from parts I got. Thought I'd model it on one of those Fender custom shop 51 basses i could never afford. It plays really well but the funny thing is I put an old Squier Classic Vibe 50s pickup in as a temporary measure but have played it up against a Seymour Duncan SCPB-2 and SCPB-3 Q pounder on my other builds and I have to say, apart from the lower output it does sound to me to be a more pleasant tone? has anyone got any opinions on these pickups as if if didn't know what it was I would defo say this pickup sounds the best by a long way? Wonder if the SCPB-1 is more like the Squier pickup..

Cheers
    IMG_0350.JPG

pudge, Dadagoboi, redstrand and 4 others like this.
  2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's a nice looking bass, for the pickup question you might have better luck in the pickups and electronics forum, I'm not familiar with the single coil P bass pickups but with the other quarter pounders it's a hot overwound pickup, based on your liking the stock squire pickup better, which isn't a bad pickup at all there's no sense in spending hundreds of dollars just to end up back where you started if you like how it sounds, I would say you should look into more vintage wound pickups.

Dadagoboi likes this.
  3. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    Will_White, thanks for the comments, I think you're right, no point in spending money and going backwards.. I was just surprised how much more clarity there was in the Squier pickup.. will post something over in the pickups section to see what the view is.. cheers

4. OP, bass turned out great. Love Dakota. Would be interested to know the neck and body manufacturer.

How about some more pix?

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Nice results, congrats! I've owned a number of SD singe coil pu's, never a Squier though. Let your ears be your guide.

6. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    Cheers.. Yeah the body is American Alder and sourced from Neil Haynes (Haynes Guitars) in the UK. The neck is an Allparts TBMO 10" radius. The neck was tinted with a vintage amber nitro from Northwest Guitars UK, the Dakota Red nitro was sourced from Rothko and Frost UK. All the hardware are Fender parts mainly sourced in the US. In the process of swapping the Squier CV 50s pickup out for a Jess Louriero Split coil 51 with Mojotone Push/Pull Volume pot. The red in photo below is a bit lighter than the naked eye, its more deep without the sunlight on it.. IMG_0351.JPG

okabass and Arizona Jones like this.
  7. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    I have a very similar Dakota Red P bass project. My aim is '56 or 'early 57 model. I'm waiting the neck which I then carve to the neck profile (V) like my friends 'original 56 P bass. I agree that overwound PU is no good. Around 6,7 kΩ is good.
    Hard to decide which pick guard. White bakelite or gold anonized aluminum.
    Dropbox - 2018-10-26 15.43.59.jpg
    Dropbox - 2018-10-26 15.40.15.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Wictod and 2saddleslab like this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I shaved a couple Warmoth necks with heavy V profiles like a '56 I once owned. Well worth the effort. Good luck and keep us updated.

okabass likes this.
  9. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    I like the gold annodised version.. been looking for one for a long time.. where did you get that? Have you got a profile of the V neck.. The neck I have on mine is an Allparts licensed Fender one and its a big lump. I tried a brand Precision Bass in a shop and it was much more comfortable than mine.. was thinking of real profiling it.

10. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    Here's my bass after a couple of years playing, a few battle scars as well. IMG_4619.

2saddleslab likes this.
  11. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    CAR '55 clone I built last month. Allparts T neck slimmed to 1.5" nut.

9rp42Tu.

pudge, wraub, okabass and 2 others like this.
  12. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Nice basses.
    Here's mine. Was completed yesterday. Dakota Red (strip lights made the color look too orange), gold anonized Pick guard...
    Dropbox - 2018-11-12 21.31.22-2.jpg

Dadagoboi and Wictod like this.
  13. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    yeah cool.... the gold pickguard is a good fit.. looks great .. i need one of those

okabass likes this.
  14. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    The "gold" PG is DIY. A local (Lahti, Finland) shield shop has anonized aluminum plate. I then used my jigsaw.
    Yes, now a soft V-profile. My intention was to make a copy of my friend's '56 P bass neck (very nice V-profile). But I decided first to try 1" thick soft V profile. I can change that later if I don't like the thick neck.

15. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Cool!

Dadagoboi likes this.
  16. Wictod

Wictod

Aug 17, 2015
    Essex UK
    That's a hell of a good job.. have seen those from one place in the US and they're like 150 dollars or something.. nice work indeed.. seriously thinking about these neck profiles, the allparts neck is good construction but not that comfortable for me.. I have a spare blank neck I might try and work into something..

okabass likes this.