1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dale Peters of the James Gang

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The 0x, Mar 26, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I was watching this video of "Walk Away" by the James Gang, and noticed that Dale Peters has some pretty bitchin' tone. Of course, he was playing a P-bass. :smug: But I noticed it wasn't any ordinary P-bass, it had the Tele headstock, and amoeba pickguard, similar to a '54, but with the split-coil pickup instead of the ol' single coil. I've only seen this kind of bass once before, and it was in this pic of The Who:

[​IMG]

And I can't find any information on it, or any other pics of Entwistle playing that bass. Does anybody else know what kind it is?

Also, I know Peters' playing isn't very flashy, but it's tasteful, and it sounds BALLSY.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I watched this video before... I can't help, but I will say, Wow, what a trio!

3. Looks like a '68 - '72 Telecaster Bass, but those reissues kept the original single coil, or had Fender's own humbucker installed close to the neck.

Entwistle did own a '63 sunburst (seen in the Bass Culture book) and that might be it in the pic with the pickup cover off and a split coil retro'd in, can't really say...The giveaway with Peters in the Beat Club video is how far back the pups are from the pickguard, which might mean a Tele pickguard and neck on a Pre body.

Tim Bogert, in the BBA days had the reissue Tele neck put on a standard Pre body, and this can be seen on the back of the first BBA album.
    He told me (several lifetimes back) that this was an esthetical and ergonomic choice...He liked the look better, and thought the neck a bit easier to get around than a standard Pre, as he didn't have particularily large hands but had a fairly busy style.

4. Here is another video of a later version of the band with Peters playing the same bass.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    YES! That is some killer tone and a killer look.

I've watched that video a few times since it hit youtube.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, again kickass tone, but that singer really bugs me. :rollno:

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I assume you mean Roy Kenner?

First-ever concert I attended had the James Gang opening for the Edgar Winter Group w/ Rick Derringer...JG's Bang!(loved that cover!) album had just been released. Tommy Bolin & Kenner had replaced Joe Walsh.
    I do recall Peters' bass as what is seen above; the self-proclaimed "Clapton down-the-street" told us younglings that it was a Telecaster bass. Peters' tone that night was better than the youtube video...best described as 'hollow' & 'punchy'.

Anyway, onto Roy Kenner-
    The opening tune was "Ride The Wind" from the Bang! album...right before the lyrics begin, a hot, hot, hot blonde in a white Summer dress hops onto the stage; she & Kenner exchange spit for the entire tune before she is finally pulled away.
    I thought, "Yeah, this is what I want to do"!

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The James Gang is one of the most unrecognized power trios of all time. Now Joe Walsh is incredible as a guitarist and vocalist, but that rhythm section is to die for. They were the first band I took my to be wife to see. Quite an experience for her from the 3rd row after only liking the Carpenters henceforth.

If you like the "Walk Away" video - pick up a copy of the "Live at Carnagie Hall" CD. It's right up there with the greatest live rock albums ever like The Who's "Live at Leeds" and Humble Pie's "Rockin' the Fillmore". Made to be played LOUD!!!

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I was a kid, I saw them with three different guitar players, Joe Walsh, Dominic Troiano & Tommy Bolin. I dug Dale Peters tone..slightly distorted P-bass. The live album Bigtexashonk just mentioned also has a bass solo on Lost Woman. I sure liked a lot of three piece bands as a kid.;)

10. I'll 'third' that Carnegie Hall album recommendation...That record shows in abundance why Pete Townsend tapped them for a Who Euro tour in the way back when, and Peters has some great tone on the Lost Woman solo.

Word is that this particular lineup has plans to reunite for some U.S. shows, possibly after the Eagles finish the UK leg of their tour in the summer.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Is the live album with Joe Walsh?

12. Yes...The last one before he split from the band.

You're Gonna Need Me...One of Joe's great performances.

13. Was that bass rig in the video an upholstered Kustom head with three 18" folded horns? Does anyone even sell 18" folded horns anymore?

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I LOVE the Walsh-era Gang.....after that, though, they really just devolved into....Foreigner, or something.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I kinda wish my band was more like the James Gang. :meh:

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I got to tell ya Ox, you have some cool taste in music!:cool:

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    hey, consider it to be a goal......:bassist:

19. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    The original James Gang was one of the all-time great bands. I'll definitely check out the live album. I just listened to their greatest hits CD the other day--killer. I say Walsh (while being very good at what he does) couldn't carry Tommy Bolin's gig bag as far as talent on the guitar, tho.

Billy-Bob

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The trick is, to convince the rest of the band that they should sound like James Gang. ;)