Dale Peters (The James Gang's bassist)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 10, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't hear people give him the props he deserves. He was the 2nd bass player in the James Gang. I always though he was an awesome R@B/Blues based, player. Great line in Funk 48 and cool soloing in Funk 49. Seemed like his simple stuff like during the break down of The Bomber always fit perfectly. His playing seemed to always compliment Joe Walsh's playing. What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    First 'real' concert I attended-
    The James Gang opened for The Edgar Winter Group in '74.
    This was the Tommy Bolin version(no Joe Walsh); they opened with "Ride The Wind" from their then-new Bang album(James Gang's Bang..."Gang Bang", get it?) ;)

Anyway, Peters was playing what looked like a '70s Fender Telecaster bass...it may have been an old P-bass(looks like the 2-toned sunburst P-bass Sting is playing nowadaze).
    Peters' tone was 'hollow'...I do remember digging it.

In any event, from what I have heard by Peters & The James Gang-
    Yes, like a lotta the late '60s/early '70s Rock players, he could 'jam' & work the tune.
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    "Oldies" radio playing "walk away" reminded me of how I was influenced by dale peters in the mid-70's funk #49 was a good tune

i also dug "bang" w/ Bolin "Must be Love" had some good funky breaks in it.

One of my first "arena" concerts was a triple-header: Ted Nugent, Aerosmith Edgar winter's white trash w/ rick derringer! how about dan hartman as a bassist?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You gotta see the Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer(+ Hartman & Ruff) doin' "Frankenstein" on the Old Grey Whistle DVD.
    Even Bruce sez it's "Over the top".

BTW, Hartman also played guitar...that's him doing the 'rhythm' part on "Free Ride"(I think Randy Jo Hobbs played the bass on that particular cut).
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The James Gang is good stuff - that guy can play. I like busting out Yer' Album every now and then.

IMO, Walsh is/was the coolest Eagle by far.
  6. +1
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    In the early cover bands I played in, you always had to play a couple James Gang Songs. I dug Dale's playing, and I'm sure it had a influence on me. I saw three versions of the James Gang in N.Y.C. when I was a kid, first with Walsh, then Troiano, and finally Tommy Bolin. When I first started playing, you couldn't go to a jam without knowing Funk 49, Still Alive & Well, Rock & Roll Hootchie Koo etc. :) James Gang Rides Again still sounds great, I picked it up a couple years ago for old times sake, and it still sounds great!
  8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002

well, considering that he's competing with the likes of Don Henley, Walsh wins by a light-year:)

Cue the Mojo Nixon tune, gentlemen! :bassist: