Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dallas area guys and girls! Guitar Center goes vintage!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 19, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had not been in the Central Dallas GC in a couple of months, and I got my socks knocked off when I went in there today!

They have a whole section(40+) of 1950's archtops, Gibson, Gretsch, Epiphone, and others, a small section of vintage P and J basses(including a pretty clean 62 P!), a large selection of vintage Strats and Teles(50+), some old Les Pauls and L5's, vintage drums, and a lot of old amps. Even saw an orange Hofner Beatle Bass reissue and a Vox teardrop bass, and a few other oddities.

I have long wished that Dallas had a store with a lot of cool used gear in it, but never dreamed that it would be a Guitar Center. Talked to one of the managers, and he said that his goal is to have his used and vintage business equal to the new business within 2 years. Wow!

2. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Did you notice some of the prices they had on that stuff?

Ususally GC will have some Vintage, but they try to compete for top dollar, for some reason. At, least that's how it seems to me.

Tim

3. Is this the GC off Central just south of NW Highway?

4. embellisher

Yes, Jeff, that's the one.

Tim, IME most of the GC's have at least a half dozen vintage pieces, but in this store almost 1/4 of their inventory is vintage, other than acoustic guitars. The prices were about normal for vintage stuff. You're not going to do much better than $6000 for a '5' 59 Srat, or $2200 for a '4' 62 P bass. Not spectacular prices, but not totally out of whack either.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yeah the one here in Washington DC (rockville MD) has a vintage room in it too. im really scared to go in there and knock over some OC stack into the glass case and break a couple gibsons. its a pretty small room so they only have one or two basses though so far.

apparently theyre trying to make all of the GCs the same layout, with a "boom room":rolleyes:, vintage area, "loud room":rolleyes:, acoustic room, etc.

oh well.
    chad

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Jeff Rader: Is this the GC off Central just south of NW Highway?
    embellisher: Yes, Jeff, that's the one...

:mad: Doggonit! Almost wish I hadn't got kicked outta' that `un :D.

7. embellisher

basslax, this isn't one of the little glass rooms with a few vintage items in it. Fully 1/4 of the main sales floor has vintage guitars, basses, drums and amplifiers on display.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    wow that sounds pretty cool!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They have some $20k+ PRS guitars in there. There's a 70's Jazz. It's the room they keep the Foderas in but surprisingly my MTD 635 was on the used wall outside.