Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dallas/Ft Worth Bass Techs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 'JC', Apr 24, 2004.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Can anyone reccomend a good bass tech in the DFW area?

I used to go to Player's Music in Hurst for maintenance/setup/repair work (which is what I am in need of) but have not been impressed with the last few visits.

Thanks guys.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What went wrong? I've been using Players since they were Longhorn Music. I haven't had any prob's. What has changed?

Details, Man! Details!

Sorry. Carried away. But please, go on.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Call up Charley's Guitar shop (Dallas) and ask to speak with Frank.
    He is there gutiar tech and does good work, reasonable price
    and is a good guy.

Turnaround time on most stuff is pretty quick too.

Tell em Spike sent ya.

Regards,

Spike

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Also check out Marcus at Larry Morgan in Garland. He's a cool guy and it is a fun place to hang around.

5. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I used to go to Larry Morgan. At that time they had a great tech there named Jimmy Coppollo. He split town on me. I had a F bass and my beloved Jazz butchered at a different place in Arlington.

I got a phone call one day. I was Jimmy. He told me he went back to his home city to be next to his family and woman. three of my basses were on the next UPS flight to NYC. It is a pain in the azz. But, this is what I have done with all of my basses for the last 6 years. I have felt it was worth it each time. Jimmy can make a bass play like butta

www.guitarboutique.com

6. Guys,
    You TOTALLY need to call Sam Swank.

214-747-1040. Ask for Sam or Scott Meador. Both guys ROCK on repairs, customs, fret jobs, etc. That same number will also get you amp repair.

Trust me. Have I ever steered you wrong?

7. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I also have had work done @ players. My only complaint ever with those guys was that they didn't talk me out of the stupid thing I was doing!!! I'd tell ya'll but I'm afraid of being ostracized by the TB community. :rolleyes:
    Fo'

8. Man!!! I didn't realize there were so many DFW people on this site. I've been needing to take my Cirrus in to get it set up also, so this helps me out as well.

I had a set up done on one of my previous basses at Mr. E's in Bedford, bad news, bro!!! The guy was supposed to send it off and decided to go ahead and do it himself :eek: . He set it up to his likings instead of Ibanez specs. It was all outta whack from that day forward. Sad too, that was a good bass. :bawl:

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've taken amps to Mike at Earhart but not guitars or basses. He did well on my Acoustic, less well on my Bedrock.

Again, what went wrong with Players?

10. Please define "less well". Mike has my SVT-CL right now. :confused:

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My guitar amp has a wierd hum. I took it to Mike. He dug through it, swapped some tubes and it got all better for a while then the same hum came back.

It sounds kind of like a ground-loop hum, except the EQ knobs effect it. And it is on one channel with the footswitch plugged in. But on the other channel without the footswitch. Nobody else who has looked at it can figure it out either. If I want to record with it I have one usable channel with the switch plugged in so I record like that. And if I would have changed channels in the song, I pull the switch out, record a whole new track with the other sound, and punch in to do the change. Hardly an optimal situation.

12. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    It’s much appreciated.
    Keep in mind though it’s been a while since I’ve been to Players, but my experiences with them have left lasting impressions. My problem with them dates back to my guitar days as well. I’m not going to go into that since that’s been a while and is a different set of experiences.
    My problems are in regard to when they’ve done work on my bass – or claim to have. I have my doubts they actually did everything they claimed to have.
    I’ve taken my bass in before for some electronic work before (new volume pots, soldering work etc was done – which I doubt. I should’ve looked at the pots before so I could see if they actually were replaced) and a couple of weeks later it was worse than before. I finally figured out the main problem with my bass was not the pots but the output jack. If a normal bassist like myself could figure that out after digging through there, why couldn’t an experienced tech see this? And why did he diagnose it as loose soldering when it was the jack. After taking it back, they gave me some attitude, as if I was wasting their precious time (I was the only one there at the time) and said it was fine after supposedly testing it. Needless to say it wasn’t since the problem still occurred when playing through my rig or anyone else’s. The whole experience was like dealing with a used car salesman, who seems to get off on lying and/or taking advantage of you. I paid to have a problem fixed on my bass and it wasn’t. I took it back to show the problem was still there and they ignored it. The on site tech as well as the sales staff always seems preoccupied and less than friendly. Needless to say, I have no intention of ever going back.

13. Well, My SVT-CL is ready. I guess I'll find out this weekend if it's really fixed. Wish me luck.

Ed