Dallas / FW area music stores?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Sep 10, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to be in Dallas this Friday and Fort Worth on Sat., and was wanting to hit a music store or two. I'd like to get my mitts on some medium-to-high-end basses - you know, the brands you don't find at "Mom & Pop's Music Store." Also looking for a larger Peavey dealer, who might have a selection of Cirrus basses (I'm GASing for a bubinga/walnut 4 or 5).

Thanks for any advice!
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I will highly reccomend Larry Morgan Music in Garland for just about anything. Also in Garland, a Dallas 'burb, is Zoo Music. Zoo is your big Peavey dealer. I don't really know of any other stores besides GC.

Oh, there's a nice store in Corsicana called Dave's Music...:D
  3. bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Murphy's Music in Irving. 183 @ McArthur. See Mike Murphy. Nice Store.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey thanks guys. Any particular clue as to what "brand" names these shops tend to pimp would be much appreciated, too...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Larry Morgan has Alembic, Modulus, Fodera, Rick Turner, and usually some cool used stuff like Zon, Lakland and Pedulla. They also carry Walter Woods, Epifani, Aguilar, Eden, Ampeg, Bag End and EBS.

Zoo carries Peavey, Pedulla, and loads of used stuff.

Murphy's Music is more of a neighborhood store, they make a lot of their money off of lessons. But they carry Fender, MusicMan, Peavey, Dean, and the usual low priced suspects. As well as Ampeg, Hartke, and Peavey amplifiers. I like them because they have a good string selection(I buy my 12 string sets from them) but they aren't worth a trip across town, unless you have another reason.

The Guitar Center in Arlington usually has some really nice stuff, and to a lesser degree, the one in North Dallas on I635 is cool too.

There is a bigger Peavey dealer near Murphy's called Mr E's. They usually have at least three Cirri in stock, that is where I bought my 6. They are in Bedford.

There is also another Zoo music in far southwest Fort Worth that usually has a couple of Cirri, but they are a long way from everything else.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Awesome rundown, Jeff. Thanks. Sounds like I ought to bring a drool cup in to Larry Morgan! I really just want to do a reality check and play some nice instruments before settling on a second Cirrus... gee, I better not get bitten by the Fodera bug!

A little anecdote from one Cirrus nut to another: I've recently begun taking lessons from Trip Wamsley, and he seems quite taken with my Cirrus. I doubt he'll be trading in his Zons and Alembics anytime soon, but it sure is nice to have an opinion of that caliber reinforce my own bass-ic instincts! ;)

Thanks again for the music store tips!