1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dallas Guitar Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Apr 19, 2006.

1. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Hey!

Anyone else going this weekend? I've never been but have wanted to every year. It always seems like something else was scheduled for the same weekend.

Linky: www.guitarshow.com

I'm hoping there are some bass exhibitors. I'm also looking forward to seeing Dave Ellefson perform, as well as Gary Hoey, George Lynch, Tommy Shannon, Rick Derringer and lots more. Sounds like a blast!

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'm going saturday morning...hopin to finally check out some skjold basses...i'm pretty stoked! :hyper:

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I'll be there Saturday morning as well. Pete Skjold will be at the Anderson Guitar Gallery booth btw :)

4. 91hondast1100

91hondast1100

Jul 19, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am going to try and make it Friday afternoon. My first guitar show, not sure what to expect. Will it be too many guitars and not enough basses? Should be interesting.

Warren

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    LOTS of guitars, but plenty of cool basses too. Last year Warrior was there, And Brian Barrett was there too, he has some really awesome instruments. Some really cool music as well.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really wished I lived a little bit closer.

7. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Awesome show tonight!

I ran into a bunch of people that I hadn't seen in a long time, saw a bunch of really cool gear, and the best part was seeing, meeting, and hearing a lot of great musicians.

I saw Andy Timmons, Gary Hoey, Junior Brown, Rick Derringer and Ed King (of Lynyrd Skynyrd). Before Gary Hoey played, I got to meet him and he gave me a pick and a personalized, signed picture of himself. He's a really cool guy.

Also, Rick Derringer's bassist, Charlie Torres, was a great guy! He played an old Fender P-Bass left handed, but strung like a rightie.

Overall, a very cool first night! I can't wait to go back tomorrow (actually later today) and check out many more great musicians.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to meet Dave Ellefson (of Megadeth). He's playing with his new band, F5....it ought to be cool!

8. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Crap, wish I'd known about this sooner.

9. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    There's still time!

If you can't make it this year, mark your calendar for next year, because it will be the 30th anniversary. You can bet it's going to be bigger than ever before. I bet they will have HUGE stars lined up for next year!!!

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Can't, I have too much going on today to make the trip.

11. 91hondast1100

91hondast1100

Jul 19, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well I stopped by the show Friday afternoon and was somewhat disappointed. I guess I was looking forward to a show which would be full of manufacturers and you could touch and test their lastest gear. Instead the show was mostly used vintage guitars and a few vintage basses. Neat to see and touch a 53 Fender Precision with an asking price of $25,000 and seeing the occassional Fender Bass VI was cool. Dean and Warrior were well represented and Gibson had some trailers with their latest custom model guitars you could touch and play. Fender's area was joke, a big screen tv playing concert footage, some Fender trinkets and t-shirts and that was about it. Not sure if maybe they brought in more stuff for Saturday's show. It was neat to see the vintage stuff but doubtful I'll be laying down $16 for the same type of show next year. I had more fun stopping by the Guitar Center the following day and playing, touching, etc. for free.

12. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    I hardly spent any time looking at the gear...I was hanging out by the stage rocking out!

I saw Dave Ellefson and Tommy Shannon perform today (and a whole bunch of other great performers that I can't even remember).

I've got some pictures that I'll try and post in the next couple of days.