Dallas/Mesquite Music Stores?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heretic, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I'm headed out that way (about 50 miles) tomorrow and was just wondering if there were any "bass friendly" music stores worth checking out. I know theres a Guitar Center somewhere... do they generally have a good selection?

2. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    shame on the DFW folk for not helping you out.
    They're probably all in the GTG thread anyway. :)

Anyhow some places in the Dallas area:

Larry Morgan - www.larrymorganmusic.com

GC Dallas (off 35) - Yamahas, Fenders, Ibanez, Schecter and more Fenders. :meh:

GC Dallas - (635) - Fenders, Musicmans, a Warwick or two, saw a Warr once, Pedulla, Peavey, and the Line 6/Bose "stick" amp setup. Cool manager by the name of Lano up there.
  3. THANKS! How big is Larry Morgan? Do you know if they carry Spectors or G&L?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Larry Morgan is pretty big for an independent store. They carry Alembic, Modulus, and a couple of other high end brands. No Spector or G&L. There is also another independent shop in the same shopping center, Zoo music. They have a lot of Peavey stuff, ranging from cheap to Cirrus. And a couple of USA Tobias, a couple of Pedulla, and occasionally some decent used stuff. I have seen Roscoe, Warrior, and Lakland there in the past.

The Guitar Center that 'JC' mentioned off of 35 is actually off of 75. It and the one on 635 have an OK selection. The best GC is in Arlington, but that is another 35 - 40 miles from Garland.
  5. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. THere's really nothing in mesquite, other than one very small store that occationally has a G&L. I think it's called Norris family music center. It's at the corner of Kerney and Galloway.

I just go to Larry Morgan in Garlend if I need anything.
  6. It looks like I'm going to Larry Morgan! I really want to get my hands on some of the basses I've been drooling over on the internet. I've been to Norris Family Music before... all they had was a Peavey and a Few squires.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm sure I'll post on my experiences later.
  7. Well I just got back. That place was great... felt like I was in heaven. Its the first *decent* music store I've been to that had basses worth playing. I played my first fretless, an Ibanez Garry Willis 5 string, and I think I'm in love. I played my first $2,000+ basses which included a fretless alembic, a Tobias, and a slew of Modulous. Of all of them, I liked the Modulous Q6. Its my first time playing an extended range and I think I'm hooked. I loved the feel of them but the strings were horrible... at least in my ears. I played some MIA fenders... they sounded great but it just wasn't my thing. I also played through various heads and cabs. 8X10s are awesome!!! Great store with a friendly staff that knows what they are talking about.