Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dallas, TX: nice place to live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimS, Jun 20, 2003.

1. I may look into a job in Dallas, TX. Anybody live there with comments on the city and burbs regarding....life in general, music scene, schools for kids, etc?

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I live in McKinney, which is a suburb of Dallas.

Dallas is a nice city with fairly nice people, a decent music scene, and is somewhere between conservative and liberal (not too much either way.)

I have 2 kids in school, and the schools in the suburbs are good (as far as I know). The city school district (Dallas Independent) is not very good, however.

Dunno what else to say.

Ask Rader, he lives in Dallas too.

;)

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Musically Dallas is pretty dead, but there are some good things going on in Deep Ellum. School wise it can be good or bad, depending on where you live, but they are generally not the best. The weather is crazy but that is not just Dallas but all of Texas. I like it, but it is going down hill.

4. Care to elaborate on this if you don't mind? I appreciate it.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Which part?

6. Weather (I'll check websites but your opinion...)

Deep Ellum--what's that? town?

7. I love it here.

We moved from the east coast. Folks are nicer, everything is cleaner, the weather is hot in the summer and mild in the winter. The sky is blue most of the time.

It has been said that folks are a bit "materialistic". Don't know if that's good or bad... Texans definitely have an attitude that bigger is better.

There is a great loyality to the state that I find refreshing.

The schools in Plano (north of Dallas) are outstanding although some might say they are too competitive. I've heard great things about schools in other parts of the artea as well. Kids are expected to work hard. The city of Dallas has both great and poor school districts.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know. I'll do my best to help. If you come for a visit, let me know...

Jeff

8. Thanks, Jeff. I most likely will fly for an interview in a couple of weeks.

It would be nice to meet you, another afficiando of Warmoth parts basses, in person too!;)

9. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Deep Ellum is just an area (a few blocks) where there are tons of clubs and things like that. Weather wise, Texas is known for drastic weather changes. It will snow one week and be 80 or so the next (This actually happened last year) I will confirm waat everyone is saying though and say that the people are great. We also have some great music stores.

for lower end and used gear check out Zoo Music
    for high end stuff check out Larry Morgan

edit: I can't spell

10. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I used to live in Dallas. Great place, my only beef is that the water up there is hard. Other than that, it's cool.

11. You mean snow and then be hot like that? Wild.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There is a good, growing music scene down the highway in Ft. Worth. Dallas ain't bad either...there's always something going on in Deep Ellum. I also have noticed that a lot of big name tours will sweep through Dallas but not make it down to Houston, so that's a plus I guess. I always thought of Dallas as the next "artsiest big city" in Texas after Austin. There's good culture there IMO.

brad cook

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The good news is dallas is in between The temps or Phoenix and the Humidity of Houston. That's good news.

Schools, very nice, as long as you stay out of Dallas ISD. Just about every other school district has somethging good about it.

As should be expected, country is the main form of music here. What else would expect from the homes of Leann Rimes and the Dixie Chicks?

Church music is huge here. Every chruch has a praise and worship band, but most don't pay because there are so manyu good players who will play for free.

Great food. You name the dish you want, and i can name a place that will knock your socks off. My favorite is Crecent City cafe, located in Deep Ellum. Deep Ellum is located on the east side of Downtown, and you have the West End, located, (you guessed it) on the west side. Both are good music scenes, but I don't think I would call them great. there is a good network for finding a band to play with, including a web site dedicated to dallas music related classified ads.

We have several Guitar centers, Larry morgan music, Zoo music, and a few others. Speir music used to be a big spot, but I think they have gone belly up.

Stick to the burbs, and you should be very happy. Remember, nobody was born here, they all came from elsewhere and stayed because it's so great.

14. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Speir did close, Larry Morgan is supposedly moving in to their old store.

15. SOME of us were born here. ;)

16. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Of course some people were born here, but it seems everybody you meet is from a cold weather state, and they moved here. I guess it's easier to have a car and a house with air conditioning than to shovel sidewalks and driveways, and put on tire chains on your car.

17. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, ain't goin' back!...unless I land a job in ski country.

Thanks for your input. Basically this job, if it works out, will give me more than double my current income and more than double my vacation time!

Music stores are nice but I really don't go to them too much. Most of my gear needs are set. Sure GAS strikes every now and then but not too badly.

I do want to get into a band if I pick up and move. I prefer rock, pop, alternative, or even metal. Country? I never listen to it but playin' out is better than not.

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Don't get me wrong, there are all of those kinds of bands here, but there will be more country bands here than in almost all parts of the country, with maybe the exception of Nashville.

check out this link

Mark

19. Thanks Mark and to all of you. If there are more replies to this thread, I won't be around for a week to read them so thanks in advance. You guy make TB such a great place.

Jim

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I want to second the "Go for the 'burbs" vote. I live in Arlington, a sleepy little community of only a third of a million people, between Dallas and Ft Worth. We have less crime than either of them and better schools. Grand Prairie is right next door to the east, very convenient to Dallas and a comfortable town.

The best deal is to find a place that feels like a small town but have something like a fifteen or twenty minute drive to anything you could want.That's easy here.

And if you want to play out country is easiest to get a gig. But everything is available. Living in this area, I have had paying gigs doing Country, Gospel,Blues, Reggae, and Several kinds of Rock. In non-paying stuff I've done Zydeco and Ozzidi( a Nigerian dance music, kind of James Brown meets Bob Marley) We have metal here too. I just don't do it.